Monday, January 11, 2010

This week, I've got nothin' (much)

Seriously, only a tiny bit of comics worth mentioning this week.  Which is good; I can keep trying to catch up on 2009.

New comics this week (Wednesday, 1/13/10):

Anchor #4

Phil Hester and Brian Churilla keep plugging (punching?) along with this supernatural action book, and I'm still digging it.  Check it out if you haven't already.

Daytripper #2

I was going to try to check out the first issue of this Fabio Moon/Gabriel Ba series, but my store sold out, so I didn't get it.  I do really want to read this, but I might just have to wait for the collection.  Oh, the agony of anticipation.

DMZ #49

Brian Wood, still doing his thing.  Wow, almost 50 issues already.  When's the next collection?

Ed Hannigan Covered One-Shot

Ed Hannigan was apparently the designer of many of Marvel's covers in the late 70s and early 80s, and now he's struggling with multiple sclerosis, so Marvel and the Hero Initiative are putting out this benefit comic that shows off a bunch of examples of his work and contains tributes to him by some of today's creators, with proceeds going to help him out.  Sounds like a good cause, and something that's definitely worth a look.

Invincible Iron Man #22

Matt Fraction continues doing his thing.  Tony still hasn't woken up; comas make for exciting comics, don't they?

Muppet Show ongoing #1

The first real issue of Roger Langridge's Muppet comic, the version that continues indefinitely rather than limiting itself to a miniseries format.  These have been pretty great, with really funny cartooning and a wonderful translation of the original show to comics.  I guess if you haven't been reading it, here's a chance to jump on.  So jump on already, everybody!

Nation X #2

Marvel's latest anthology miniseries thing that ties into whatever X-Men event is going on.  Usually, these aren't really worth mentioning, but this issue contains an eight-page Gambit story by Becky Cloonan, so it's at least notable.  Also, a Northstar story by Tim Fish, if that interests you.  Probably still not worth buying though.

Punishermax #3

Jason Aaron and Steve Dillon, still being violent.  The MAX version of the Kingpin is pretty mean.

Strange #3

Mark Waid and Emma Rios, continuing with whatever is going on with Dr. Strange.  I've liked the first couple issues.

Sword #3

Ditto for Kieron Gillen's outer space hijinx.  Enjoyable, but would be more so without the Dark Reign intrusions.  We'll see how long it lasts.

Weekly World News #1

IDW is putting out this odd comic that features various characters (Bat Boy! Space aliens!) from the now-cancelled weirdo newspaper that I always liked looking at as a kid when I was in supermarket checkout lines with my mom.  They've got a "comic" version and a "newspaper" version, which is black and white and printed on newsprint.  Maybe a fun and goofy thing to take a look at, who knows.

Agents of Atlas Turf Wars Prem HC

The second, and I think final, collection of the recently-cancelled series, which sees the team go up against the Hulk, meet Namor, and fight a rival organization in China.  Good stuff, with great writing by Jeff Parker and mostly-good art, especially whatever Gabriel Hardman drew.  I recommend it, if you missed it the first time around.

Calamity Jack

This is a sequel to the children's graphic novel Rapunzel's Revenge, featuring her boyfriend, who seems to be a version of Jack of Fables, or at least the character from "Jack and the Beanstalk".  The Rapunzel book is supposed to be pretty good, so I bet this one is too.  Maybe I'll check them both out someday.

Complete Torpedo Vol 1 HC

Ooh, here's something I want to read.  This week's most interesting entry in the Golden Age of Reprints collects a Spanish crime/gangster series that was written by Enrique Sanchez Abuli and illustrated by Alex Toth and Jordi Bernet.  From what I've heard, it features some pretty rough stuff, lots of sex and violence and nihilism.  I can't wait to check it out.

Human Target Chance Meetings TP

In connection with the TV series of the same name (which, from the commercials I've seen, doesn't really seem much like the comic), Vertigo is putting out reprints of Peter Milligan's run on the series, which is pretty good.  From what I can tell, I think this includes the original four-issue miniseries illustrated by Edvin Biukovic, and the Final Cut one-shot drawn by Javier Pulido.  Good stuff, from what I remember, although I don't know if I've read all of it.  I guess this is my chance to catch up...

Little Adventures In Oz Book 1 TP

IDW also has this collection of some of Eric Shanower's adaptations of the various Oz books by L. Frank Baum.  Shanower is pretty good; maybe I should check some of these out at some point, along with the Marvel adaptation's he's doing with Skottie Young.  He's a veritable Oz factory.

Lola: A Ghost Story HC

Oni has this graphic novel by J. Torres and Elbert Orr, about a kid who can see ghosts and must confront his fears of them or something.  It looks kind of cute and cartoony; maybe it's a kiddie sort of thing, or maybe it's not.  I'd take a look either way.

No Hero TP

Avatar collects this miniseries by Warren Ellis and Juan Jose Ryp, about people becoming superheroes and sacrificing their humanity, basically turning into monsters.  At least, I think that's what it's about.  I do like most of Ellis' work for Avatar, including his last project with Ryp, Black Summer, so I'll probably end up getting it. Don't let me down, Ellis!

Runaways Escape To New York Prem HC

I think this is the second collection from the second volume of this series, and it's quite good, from what I remember.  Fun storytelling and character work from Brian K. Vaughan, and nice art by Adrian Alphona and Takeshi Miyazawa.  Read it, if you haven't already, says I.

Nana Vol 20 TP

Aw, crap, I'm way behind on this.  One of these months, I'm going to have to do a manga catchup binge, and just power through all the volumes of various series I've got sitting in various piles around my house.  That should be fun.

Natsumes Book Of Friends Vol 1 TP

Not that I need to add more to my list of series to get behind on, but I've heard that this is a pretty good series, about a boy who can see various spirits and supernatural creatures, and goes on some sort of quest involving his grandmother, who had the same abilities.  I might have to check it out.

Sand Chronicles Vol 7 GN

And here's one more series that I like, hopefully containing previously unread (by me) material in this volume.  It's good stuff, full of girly drama that I enjoy for some reason, and I've missed out on reading it.  I'll get back into it, yes I will.
-----

That's everything?  Probably!  More stuff coming this week, and maybe I'll get closer to my best of 2009 post.  Maybe!

4 comments:

  1. If I understand correctly, the Shanower collection from IDW consists of original stories written by Shanower set in Oz, not adaptations of stories by Baum. I haven't read them but will soon as I can. His take on The Wonderful Wizard of Oz with Young is very possibly the single best adaptation of a story from any other medium into comics form I've ever read, and was my favorite thing published by Marvel in many years. I'd recommend it to any writer on purely technical grounds to illustrate "this is how it's done correctly" as well as to anyone else just for reading pleasure.

    Yeah, the comic book Human Target might have made a good TV show...but the one they're advertising looks like more of the same old sludge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I certainly liked No Hero. It works quite well a thematic sequel to Black Summer... Plus, man, the end of issue six... I really did like that book (as earning a spot in my top ten of 2009 shows).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked up Anchor #1 for Phil Hester at Fallcon and liked it a lot! But on the other hand, I'm an evil trade waiter, so I won't get the next few issues until March. But it's a great book!

    I'd recommen giving Human Target a try Matt. I read the first trade this summer and enjoyed it very much.

    Wes A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nana's author, Ai Yazawa, has been on hiatus due to illness since last April or so. I think the last Nana volume published in Japan was #21 last March, so you'll probably have quite some time in which to catch up with the series.

    ReplyDelete