Tuesday, January 2, 2007

A new year begins, with another look at weekly comics (and a boring post title)

Happy New Year, everybody! Nothing much new to say, unfortunately; no resolutions or prognoses. Instead, it's business as usual:

New comics this week (Thursday, 1/4/07):
ALL STAR SUPERMAN #6 $2.99
Ah, a new year, and a new issue of the awesome Superman book. I'll have something to say about this in my upcoming "best of the year" post, but for today I'll just say I'm greatly anticipating this issue.
BATMAN BLACK AND WHITE STATUE PAUL POPE $59.99
I wish I could afford stuff like this. Although, if I was going to buy a Paul Pope statue, it wouldn't be Batman. It'd be THB, or some other character of his.
MIDNIGHTER #3 $2.99
This is out already? Cool. I'm digging the goofy story Ennis is spinning here, but I just read today that Bryan K. Vaughan and Darick Robertson will be doing a single-issue story in #7 of this book, and that's pretty sweet. Not to take anything away from the regular team or anything.
OTHER SIDE #4 (OF 5) (MR) $2.99
Almost done with this mini. I imagine there will be more stuff about the horrors of warfare. Will our two leads meet, or is that going to have to wait until the final issue?
SCALPED #1 (MR) $2.99
Hmmm. I'll have to see about this one. It might be interesting, but I don't know if I want to commit to a new series right now. It's by Jason Aaron, writer of The Other Side, so that's a plus. On the minus side, the preview in some other Vertigo book last month didn't do anything for me. I might pass on this.
SUPERMAN CONFIDENTIAL #3 $2.99
I will be getting this one, at least through the Cooke/Sale storyline. What happened when Superman first learned he might be killable? Let's all find out, kids!
68 (ONE SHOT) (MR) $3.99
I'm not sure about this one either. Zombies in Vietnam? I'm already reading The Other Side. This looks like more of a horror story. I'll see (I say that a lot, don't I).
HELLSHOCK DEFINITIVE ED VOL 1 HC $49.99
I like Jae Lee's art, so I would consider buying this, but not for fifty bucks. Maybe I'll think about it more seriously when the softcover comes out. I didn't read this when it initially came out; can anybody tell me if it's any good?
IRON MAN HYPERVELOCITY #1 (OF 6) $2.99
Adam Warren writes a sure-to-be-wild-and-crazy Iron Man miniseries. I hope the art's also good.
NEWUNIVERSAL #2 $2.99
More Ellis worldbuilding. I'm slightly curious if I'm missing anything by knowing jack about the New Universe. I doubt it, but I just wonder if, say, the guy who woke up from a coma and murdered the other guy, then wrote "Justice" on the wall in blood, do NU fans see that and say, "Oh, that must be Star Brand!" (or whatever character he is). Huh. Anyway, yay Ellis! Hopefully this will last longer than Nextwave (even if it's not nearly as enjoyable)!
POWERS #22 (MR) $2.95
Wow, this came out fast. It seemed like it was coming out very sporadically, but the last two issues came out right in succession. In last issue's letter column, Bendis said they had the next three issues all finished, but I figured they would space them out bimonthly or something so there wouldn't be any big gaps. Huh. Such is the nature of creator-owned comics, I guess.
PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #2 CW $2.99
Is the Civil War stuff over yet? I might actually pick this comic up when it is.
COMPLETE BALLAD OF HALO JONES SC NEW PTG  $23.99
I've heard this is good. I might buy it sometime, but probably not this week. And probably not for $24. Maybe if I find it on sale somewhere.
DEATH NOTE VOL 9 TP  $7.99
All right! More Death Note! Crazy plot twists and wacky demons, here I come!
-----
Well, looks like that's it for new stuff this week. In the next few days I hope to have some top ten/best-of lists for 2006. Be there or be square! (sorry)

No comments:

Post a Comment