Friday, August 3, 2007

"The American dream--it works! You just have to eat apple pie and believe!"

Today's Fourth World panel (the second-to-last one for this volume! Boo!) features that weirdo, Goody Rickels, in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #139:



So Goody Rickels appears to be Don Rickles's opposite, being nice and encouraging rather than mean and insulting. What a strange creation. He does get some good moments in this issue, like the old gag where he takes out a bad guy accidentally:



That's always fun. I love how when Morgan Edge meets Goody he thinks "The solution is obvious! This man must be killed!", not because he's dangerous to Darkseid's plans or anything, but just because he's annoying. Later, Jimmy Olsen, the Guardian, and Goody fall prey to an Intergang mobster's evil plan:



He's feeding them tasteless food! Oh no! Actually, it's a bit more dramatic than that, but I went for the cheap joke. This issue ends on a cliffhanger, so I'll have to wait until the next volume of the Omnibus to find out how the trio will deal with their indigestion, as well as the fate of Superman/Clark Kent, who has been warped across the galaxy. Nuts!

One more issue to go before the end of this volume. Stay tuned tomorrow for "The Paranoid Pill!"
-----

By the way, this is the 300th post on Warren Peace Sings the Blues. On the past two centennial posts, I did some sort of special (i.e. long) posts, but I don't feel like doing that this time, so I'll just note the milestone. Yay, me!

3 comments:

  1. Your panel selections through this series of posts have been nothing short of impeccable. If I were writing a book on the Fourth World saga, I would want to invite you to be the picture consultant and help select the art that would be reproduced as illustrations in the book.

    Which reminds me that I need to drop you a line sometime, as there's something I'd like to ask you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Goody causes more trouble than the villains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rab: Wow, thanks! While I love Kirby's work, this is actually the first time I've read most of this material (I did read the first trade of the Jimmy Olsen stories a few years ago), so coming from a long time Kirby fan like yourself, that's some high praise!

    Oh, and feel free to email me anytime you like; my address is over there on the sidebar. Or you can just leave a comment...

    Chris: He sure does, especially when said trouble involves jumping around carrying pictures of his "look-alike".

    ReplyDelete