Monday, August 20, 2007

This week: more stuff to buy, if I see it

New comics this week (Wednesday, 8/22/07):

Astonishing X-Men #22

The Joss Whedon/John Cassaday run lurches toward its conclusion. I'm trying to remember what happened in the last issue, but I'm sure I'll get caught right up as soon as I start reading it.

Immortal Iron Fist #8
Order #2

Two Matt Fraction-written books that I'm not planning on buying. I'm waiting for the trade on Iron Fist, but I'm afraid I might go into withdrawals and have to buy it soon. As for The Order, I might or might not get it when it is collected, depending on reviews. I read some good reviews and some middling ones of the first issue, so we'll see how subsequent installments are received.

Marvel Adventures Avengers #15

I don't buy this series anymore, but I certainly recommend it for those who are looking for fun superhero stories. This issue sees our heroes go to Asgard and fight alongside Thor, I think.

Batman #668

Hey, more awesomely-illustrated Batman/Batmen comics! I never reviewed #667, but I really liked it. J.H. Williams III rules. I hope the goodness continues. Whatever the case, I'm dropping the book after the end of this arc.

Spirit #9

Darwyn Cooke's run lurches toward it's end. Ah, just kidding. I love this book, but I'll be fine when it finishes. Less money for me to spend.

Black Summer #2

More Warren Ellis superhero craziness, probably with violence and techno-fetishism. I bet I'll like it.

Bonds #1

A magical crime/revenge story written and illustrated by a guy named Durwin Talon, from Image (here's more information). I saw him at Wizard World, but didn't really stop to look at it or talk to him. It might be worth a look.

Mouse Guard Winter 1152 #1

Dilemma. I don't know if I want to get this or wait for the collection. It seems like I would save a little bit by waiting for a trade/hardcover (especially if I bought it on Amazon), but it'll sure be hard to pass up in the store.

Tank Girl the Gifting #3

I never even saw the second issue of this book on the shelves, and I don't know whether I would have got it if I did. Reading the first issue, I felt like I was kind of missing a lot of the jokes, not having read previous stories featuring the character(s), but I did like Ashley Wood's art. Once again, I guess I'll look at it if I see it and then decide.

White Picket Fences #3

I already read this and reviewed it, so you can read what I thought and decide if you want it. It's not terrible, but it failed to meet my exacting standards. Or something.

PX vol. 1 A Girl and Her Panda

I've been waiting for this book; I hope it shows up at my store this week. It's a print version of a webcomic by my buddy Manny Trembley and Eric A. Anderson, creators of the awesome Sam Noir: Samurai Detective. Should be fun.

Tellos Colossal HC

This is the big collection of a fantasy series by Todd Dezago and Mike Wieringo. It's a bit on the pricey side at $39.99, but I bet it will sell well, coming out right after Wieringo's untimely death. I might check it out sometime if I can afford it.

Complete Terry & The Pirates Vol 1 1934-1936 HC

The first volume of the new collection of Milton Caniff's classic adventure strip. I would love to check it out, but it's a bit expensive for me to get at $49.99. Maybe I'll see it at the library someday.

Zombies vs Robots HC

I enjoyed this miniseries, but the hardcover collection is $19.99, which is a lot more than the original two issues would have cost. I'm sure this has some extras and whatnot, but why so expensive?

In Her Darkest Hour One Shot

From Image, a comic about a girl wanting to commit suicide. By Fernanda Chiella. Heavy stuff. It might be worth a look.

Surreal Adventures Of Edgar Allan Poo GN

Another printed webcomic from Image, about some sort of dream version of Edgar Allen Poe taking a trip through his subconscious. Possibly with bathroom humor.

Lucky Vol 2 #1

A new volume of Gabrielle Bell's autobiographical comics, from Drawn & Quarterly. I liked the first volume, so I'll definitely check this out if I see it.

Hard Bullied Comics Vol 1 Back In Blackmail TP

Greg Burgas has talked this comic up in the past. I might want to check it out, if I ever see it.

Comic Foundry Magazine Vol 1 #1

I've been interested in this magazine, and I hope it turns out to be pretty good. At the very least, I'll flip through it, but I'll probably end up buying the first issue. I've already seen a few reviews of the issue (it's weird to review a magazine, isn't it?), and while it sounds like it's not perfect, it should be interesting to check out, at least.
-----

I think that's everything I'm interested in this week. We'll see what I actually end up buying. Watch for more reviews, probably tonight. Oh, and it's solicitation week, so I'll look at what's coming out in November as the information is released. Fun!

By the way, I hope nobody is put off by the Project Wonderful ad over there on the sidebar. I put that up just out of curiosity, to see if anyone was interested in buying ads on the blog. Right now, the ad is for a furry-themed sci-fi site, which amuses me. Not that I endorse that sort of thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment