Sunday, September 30, 2007

This week: comics. Just like every week.

Nothing too significant, I guess. But before I get to the weekly list, I'll point out two reviews of mine over on SBC: Lucha Libre #1 and Dust #2. The latter one was pretty terrible, so I used that as a chance to make lots of jokes, and hopefully they're funny to other people besides me. Isn't that what critics are supposed to do when something is bad? Anyway:

New comics this week (Wednesday, 10/3/07):

Howard the Duck #1

The first issue of the new miniseries by Ty Templeton and Juan Bobillo. I like Bobillo's artwork (he used to draw Dan Slott's She-Hulk), but I don't know if this will be worth getting. I'll wait for the trade and see what the buzz is.

Omega the Unknown #1

I'm waiting for the trade on this one too, but I'll almost certainly get it, because Jonathan Lethem is one of my favorite novelists, and the artwork (by Farel Dalrymple, with Paul Hornschemeier helping out somehow) looks amazing. Don't let me down, fellows!

Marvel MAX Sampler 2007

Didn't one of these samplers come out a year ago and promise a miniseries of H.P. Lovecraft adaptations by Richard Corben, similar to the Edgar Allen Poe one he did a while back? What happened to that anyway? I'm still waiting! As for this thing, I'll flip through it in the store, but that's all. I don't waste my money to pay for ads.

JLA Hitman #2

The first issue of this was pretty good, but I figured I would wait for the conclusion to do a write-up. Luckily, it's showing up really quickly (it's only been two weeks, right?), so nobody has to wait to hear what I thought.

Jack of Fables #15

I've been sort of planning to drop this and wait for trades, like I do with Fables, but it's such an enjoyable book that I don't know if I want to. This issue will presumably see more arguing between Jack and Wicked John, and more figuring out what to do about the sword that is currently impaling him. Good times.

Vinyl Underground #1

The newest Vertigo series, about magical London musicians, or something like that. Notable due to the art by Simon Gane and Cameron Stewart (plus covers by Sean Phillips). Like I tend to do with Vertigo series that interest me, I'll probably buy the first issue/arc, and then switch to trades if I like it.

Lobster Johnson & the Iron Prometheus #2

I didn't read the first issue of this, but it looked pretty good, and I heard a lot of good things about it, so I might end up getting the eventual collection.

Parade with Fireworks #2

I really liked the first issue of this, but I figured I would wait for the second and final one to review the story. So expect that sometime this week.

Injury Comics #1

I think I read a review or two of this that made it sound pretty interesting (I know Jog did one). But my shop probably won't get it anyway. Oh well.

Empowered vol. 2

I was wrong; this didn't show up last week. But it should be here this week. Oh joy!

I Killed Adolph Hitler

Um, ditto the last thing I said.

Lloyd Kaufman Presents The Toxic Avenger & Other Tromatic Tales GN

I don't know if this will be worth getting, but it could be fun. Notable contributors include Sean McKeever, B. Clay Moore, Kalman Andrasofszky, and Ivan Brandon. It's $18.99, and here's a preview/interview at CBR.

Outer Orbit TPB

You know, I never did hear if this series was any good. It's a sci-fi comedy billed as "from the creator of Shaun of the Dean", but that's not talking about any of the people usually associated with Shaun (Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright, or Nick Frost); rather, I think they're referring to the writer of the graphic novel adaptation of the movie, or something like that. Anyway, I did get a review copy of this, but I haven't read it yet, so I might eventually write something about it, depending if I feel like it.

Sock Monkey Inches Incident TPB

I've never actually read any Sock Monkey, but I do like Tony Millionaire, so I suppose I could check this out at some point. I think I prefer Maakies, but who knows, this could also be pretty enjoyable.

Will Eisner Life in Pictures

I'm always up for some Eisner. This collects The Name of the Game, To the Heart of the Storm, and The Dreamer. Out of those, I've read Storm, and it's quite good; I might just have to get this someday. Here's Tom Spurgeon's recent look at the book.

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane Vol 4 TP Digest

A collection of the excellent series; I highly recommend it if you've never read it. This is the cheap manga-sized digest version, which is good if you don't want to spend too much. They'll probably also come out with a big, pretty hardcover collection of this material too.

Underworld Railroad Vol 1 GN

This could be interesting. It's a supernatural takeoff on the historical Underground Railroad, with deceased souls following a path of safehouses in order to escape the devil. It's by Jason M. Burns, creator of A Dummy's Guide to Danger, which I haven't read but looked all right. Here's an interview with Burns with some sample art.

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service vol. 4

Hey, I'm not as behind on this series as I thought I was! I have the first two volumes, so there's not too much to catch up on.

Dragon Head Vol 8

And I'm still trying to get caught up on this; I've read through volume 5. Both of those manga are ones I never see in stores, or I would probably be more current. It's harder to keep up when you have to order the books online.

Nana Vol 7

I'm all caught up with this series though; this volume collects through the end of what was serialized in Shojo Beat. I don't know if I've mentioned this, but I love this book, so check it out if you aren't afraid of looking too girly.

Uzumaki Vol 1 2nd Edition

Ah, Viz is finally delivering their promised Junji Ito reprints. I've read the first two volumes of this series, and it's excellent, effectively creepy stuff. I might have to pick these up, especially Gyo, which I haven't read before.
-----

And that's all for me for the week. I should also mention that I noticed a bunch of books by Zondervan, a Christian publisher, on Midtown Comics' list, so I checked it out, and it looks to be a crazy line of Christian manga-style comics for kids. Weird. Normally I wouldn't care too much, but I did review a similar book recently (it should be up soon on MangaLife), so this sort of thing has been catching my eye. Huh. Okay, maybe there will be more content today, but maybe not. I like to keep people guessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment