Monday, November 26, 2007

After last week, I might not have enough money for this week's stuff

I won't let that stop me though. Really, I spent a lot, especially since my store was having a sale that allowed me to pick up some stuff I had been wanting for a while. So this week might cause more thinness of the wallet. But before I talk about my upcoming expenditures, here are some reviews I did for Silver Bullet Comics: Groo: Hell on Earth #2, Left on Mission #5, and Rex Libris #9. Woo hoo! Okay, back to my outgoing cash flow issues (note: comics come out on Thursday this week, because of the holiday last week, I guess, which seems kinda dumb):

New comics this week (Thursday, 11/29/07):

Casanova #11

Hey, this seems to be coming out at a nice clip. Awesome. I really dug the last issue, with the Secret Cinema and the sexiness. Here's hoping Fraction and Moon can keep it going.

Doc Frankenstein #6

Holy cow, it's been a while since the last issue of this one. What is it, and annual now? I usually enjoy it, even though it's ridiculous, over the top, and kind of overly serious about religious persecution, but there's really nothing else like it being published, so I'll take it. Now if we get a new Shaolin Cowboy before March, it'll be a real miracle...

Jack of Fables #17

Last issue was kind of a standalone deal, so this one will probably get back to the main story, with Jack putting Humpty Dumpty back together. Have I mentioned that I really enjoy this book?

Madman Atomic Comics #5

Ooh, and another book that is sometimes late but always welcome. More of Madman's cosmic adventures in space. I can't wait.

Dan Dare #1

I'm not sure if I want to get this one, but I'm interested in most stuff Garth Ennis writes. I'll have to check it out and decide if I want it.

Archibald Saves Christmas #1

Some sort of gothic-cartoony funny animal violent Santa special. It could be fun, or it could be lame. Here's a group review that makes it sound kind of interesting.

Dock Walloper #1

I don't really know much about this one, but it's "written" by filmmaker Ed Burns (with Jimmy Palmiotti), and it's some sort of crime/gangster story in Prohibition-era New York. Heidi MacDonald has the press release here. I might take a look at it.

Popgun Vol 1 GN

This is a cool-looking anthology from Image, with contributions from the likes of Mike Allred, Erik Larsen, Joseph Michael Lisner, Jim Mahfood, and plenty others. I'll probably pick it up; it looks like it will contain some pretty good stuff. Here's a preview.

Jack Kirbys Galactic Bounty Hunters HC

I bought the first issue of this Kirby-sploitation miniseries, but wasn't all that impressed. Apparently, it's based on sketches and characters that Kirby created but never used, but I didn't see much of Kirby's energy or creativity in that issue. I suppose I could check out a collection of the series if I'm looking for something to read, but I'm not going to spend $25 on a fancy hardcover version.

Cut GN

A horror graphic novel from Dark Horse, written by publisher Mike Richardson. It's got a nice cover by Mike Mignola, if nothing else. I probably won't get it this week (did I mention the money shortage?), but if I hear good things I could see myself buying it.

Talent Vol 1 TP

I never did read this horror(?) miniseries from Boom! Studios, but I heard it was pretty good. Yet another one I might possibly check out someday.

Testament Vol 3 Babel TP

I believe this was the arc after which I dropped this book, but now that it's getting canceled, I might try to read the final issues and see if it ever got better. It was too bad; I really like the book for a while, but it just got too incoherent, and the art started really turning me off. We'll see what ends up happening.

Locas vol. 3 Perla La Loca
Palomar vol. 3 Beyond Palomar

I believe these actually came out last week in most places, but my shop has them on their list for this week, so that means I'll probably be getting them soon. I can't wait to read them.

MPD-PSYCHO Vol 3 TP

I can tell this is another series that I'm going to be perpetually behind on. I'll try to get caught up though.

Pumpkin Scissors Vol 1 GN

David Welsh reviewed this one a week or two ago, and it sounds pretty good, despite the awful title. I might check it out eventually.

Ice Wanderer GN

I've never read any Jiro Taniguchi books, but I always hear they are really good. I'm hoping to get caught up someday, but here's another one to add to the pile. Chris Butcher has more information.
-----

And that's it for the week. Really, it's not that big of a week, but I just spent too much last week, so I'm short on dough. But it's not like I don't have enough stuff to read already...

Anyway, I've got another post coming up, and it's one people should read, so check back later! And I might even do some sort of reviews, which is kind of the point of this whole blog, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment