Monday, November 26, 2007

In which I celebrate my verbosity and try to get people to do stuff for me

So, believe it or not, this is the 400th post here on Warren Peace Sings the Blues. That's a lot of jibber-jabber. I hit my one-year "blogoversary" (god, that's a stupid word) about two weeks ago, so that means I've been averaging more than one place a day. Jeez, I almost want to apologize for writing so much. So here's a roundup of some of my favorite posts, but if it bores you, skip past it, because you'll want to read about the contest/giveaway I'm doing:

Will Eisner Week
Excellent Jack Kirby panels
The original version of my 100 Bullets character map
And the updated version (at the bottom of the post), which I did after I read the eleventh volume

Reviews I like:

The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Empowered volume 1
Ode to Kirihito
Drifting Classroom volume 2 (notable for manga scholar Matt Thorn's revealing comment)
Heartbreak Soup
More about Heartbreak Soup
Maggie the Mechanic
King City volume 1
To Dance
Rocketo volume 2
War Fix
Vampire Loves
Garage Band
The Plain Janes
La Perdida
Elk's Run
Pyongyang
The Professor's Daughter
Kampung Boy
The Black Diamond Detective Agency
Deogratias
Alice in Sunderland
Bob and Harv's Comics (focusing on silent panels)
The Salon
Templar, Arizona volume 1
Northwest Passage
The Homeless Channel
PX!
Buddha volume 1
Chance in Hell
Shortcomings (or rather, the original Optic Nerve issues)
Silent War
Exit Wounds
Tekkon Kinkreet

Other silliness:

A crappy drawing I did as an entry for a contest on Chris Sims' blog.
Lame jokes about an early issue of Fantastic Four.
In the spirit of the holiday season, an image-heavy look at a Christmas-themed issue of Spider-Man's Tangled Web by Darwyn Cooke.
A look at the crazy-ass manga Octopus Girl, and the origin of the term "WST" (Weird Shit Tolerance) that I use every so often.

Non-comics content:

In memoriam: Kurt Vonnegut
My favorite movies of 2006 (and the revised list)
I bitch about the 2006 Oscars

Movie reviews:

Down in the Valley
Tommy
Samurai Saga
Black Snake Moan
300
Tideland
This Film Is Not Yet Rated
Meet the Robinsons
Brand Upon the Brain!
Sunshine
The Great Yokai War

Video game reviews:
Psychonauts
Final Fantasy XII
Okami
-----

Okay, that's enough of that. How about a contest? I have an extra copy of the graphic novel Unbeatable:



I reviewed this yesterday, and it's a pretty good book, so if you want to win a copy, here's what you have to do: design me a banner to go at the top of the site. I'm sick of the plain text up there, and I want something more snazzy. I might be able to make an attempt at coming up with something myself, but I figured I would try to get someone else to do it for me. So, if you want to enter, come up with an image that incorporates the blog's title, Warren Peace Sings the Blues, and email it to me at mbrady325[at]gmail[dot]com. It can be an image relating to comics, a visualization of the title, or whatever the hell you feel like doing. I won't guarantee that I'll use any images, but I'll post all entrants either on the blog or on Flickr (except for any that I somehow find overly offensive, which is unlikely), and I'll mail the comic to the one that I decide is best. Depending on the number and quality of entrants, I might even award a second or third prize and send out other stuff that I have lying around. I figure I'll give a couple weeks to get any entries in, so the tentative deadline is December 10. Thanks in advance for entering, and I look forward to seeing what people come up with!

1 comment:

  1. Holy... you´re a machine, that´s what you are; a comics reviewing machine.

    I don´t think I´ve crossed the 400 posts mark yet, and I´ve been blogging for 3 plus years. (then again, I also suck at blogging, so there...)

    ReplyDelete