Monday, March 10, 2008

This week, there are too damn many comics. Aargh!

Hey, in case you didn't notice, I've got a review of Phoenix: Dawn below this post. I wrote it last night, but Blogger wouldn't let me post pictures, so I managed to get it working this morning. I just wanted to make sure nobody missed it. Also, I've got a collaborative review (with crazy Dutchman Martijn Form) of Narcopolis #2 up at Comics Bulletin. And then:

New comics this week (Wednesday, 3/12/08):

Atomic Robo #6

The final issue of this first miniseries, although a second (ongoing?) series is supposed to continue in the fall. I'm still really enjoying it, although the ongoing story about a rampaging robotic Egyptian pyramid seems to have derailed in favor of a flashback story about Robo's archenemy, whom he defeated in the first issue. Oh well, it's still really fun reading, with some cool artwork. I'll keep taking the ride.

Bat Lash #4

Mass slaughter! Well, that's what last issue's cliffhanger suggested, anyway. I'm starting to wonder if I should keep reading this series, but I've come this far, so I'll go the distance. It's definitely not bad, especially if you dig the westerns. And hey, John Severin's art is pretty sweet.

Cemetery Blues #2

I never did get the first issue of this series about bumbling gravediggers/monster hunters, but I ordered it from my shop, so maybe they'll stick this in my pull box. I hope it's worth it.

Comic Book Comics #1

Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunleavy's follow-up to Action Philosophers, exploring the history of early comics and their creators. I'll follow these guys anywhere, but if the story in the Awesome! anthology is any indication, I won't have to worry about a lack of quality.

Goon #22

Man, this is coming out like clockwork. Sweet. Last issue was pretty great, exploring the history of the zombie priest (and having the Goon fight a giant transvestite). I don't know what Eric Powell has in store, but I'm excited to read it.

Gutsville #3

Whoa, this is late. But I'm glad it finally showed up; Frazier Irving has become one of my favorite artists, and this is one crazy, weird-ass story. If I remember correctly, our characters were exploring the intestines of their giant host, looking for an exit. I expect plenty of viscera and psychedelia. Don't let me down, guys!

Madman Atomic Comics #7

Man, last issue was disappointing. I hope Mike Allred can get back on track after that (admittedly pretty) disaster. Don't drive me away from one of my all-time favorite books, Mike!

Maintenance #9

Here's another one that is coming out more regularly, which is quite welcome. This issue, our heroes (accompanied by a caveman scientist and a man-shark) venture into space to rescue Mendy the receptionist. I can't wait.

Screamland #1

I read (and reviewed) a preview of this issue a while back, and it was pretty interesting, a look at Frankenstein and other monsters as aging screen stars looking for work. I don't know if I'll follow it, but mostly just because I'm financially strapped (especially this week. Yikes!).

DMZ vol. 4 Friendly Fire

This was a really good storyline, and the last one I bought in monthly form before switching to trades. I definitely recommend it if you like DMZ. Man, I can't wait to read more of this series.

Empowered vol. 3

Whoa, more Adam Warren exploitative wackiness! I really like this series, so I'm looking forward to reading this one. I expect more sex, cheesecake, cool action, and subversive superhero comedy. And hopefully more character development and just plain nice writing and art. Don't let me down, Adam!

Gumby vol. 1

I haven't been reading this Bob Burden/Rick Geary series, but I've heard it's quite good, with plenty of surreal comedy. So maybe I'll consider reading it sometime.

Justice League International HC

I never read the Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire incarnation of the Justice League, but I always hear that it was great. And now DC is finally collecting it, so maybe I can read it sometime. I don't think I'll shell out any cash for it, but I might look for it at the library or something...

Wormwood vol. 2 It Only Hurts When I Pee

Ooh, more of Ben Templesmith's sublimely twisted, demonic, grotesque, tentacle-filled book of weirdness. I liked the first volume a whole bunch, and I really want to read this one. Unfortunately, I can't afford it right now, but it's going right on the wish list. I'll be able to get to it soon, I hope.

Ichigeki Sacchu Hoihoi-San GN

In this week's manga releases, this one looks plenty weird and goofy. It's about a cute little-girl-shaped robot that kills bugs. Hey, why not?

Metro Survive Vol 1 GN

Here's another interesting-looking manga about a mild-mannered guy who has to lead a group of survivors trapped in a subway after an earthquake. Sounds like it could be a cool survival-horror story along the lines of Dragon Head. Sounds like one to keep an eye on.

Suppli Vol 2 GN

Here's the second volume of the adult women's romance series. I liked the first one, so I'll try to grab this when I can. Go Minami!

Switch Vol 1 GN

This is a new series from Viz, looking to be a seinen manga about drugs, cops, violence, etc. I might read it.
-----

And I think that's everything for the week. We'll see what I'm able to afford, and how badly my wife hurts me if I spend too much. There might be more blogging coming up, but we'll see how much time I have. Later!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I usually let new fathers make their own budgetary decisions, especially when I only know them from their comics blogs, but i've got to make an exception--Wormwood 2 has the overweight female Leprechaun queen/king monstrosity, and she sings. There's got to be something you can kick to the side for a couple of weeks to not miss that. Unless it's a food/comics decision, just don't buy any Terry and the Pirates collections. I'll email you plot synopsis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man, you're killing me. I definitely have to get it; I'll see what I can do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem. Here we go:

    Terry gets on a ship with the dude.

    Dude and Terry are kidnapped by pirates.

    There's a chick with the pirates! SO HOT

    Things work out! (not for pirates)

    (Racist Chinese stereotypes throughout)

    Now repeat that for 2 years.

    And I just saved you 35 dollars.

    ReplyDelete