Thursday, April 17, 2008

Award nominations I can actually get behind

Before I start with my interminable commentary, I'll point to two recent reviews on Comics Bulletin: White Picket Fences Double Feature and Powers Annual 2008. Woo!

Also, I wanted to link to an excerpt from the upcoming Minx book Emiko Superstar, by Mariko Tamaki and Steve Rolston. I recognize one of those two names. It certainly looks nice, so I'll probably end up getting it.
-----

So, now that the Eisner nominations have been released, I guess I have to talk about them. I definitely thought they did a better job this year than last year. I don't know why I obsess over these things, since I already did my own Best of 2007 list(s), and there are plenty of other, smarter people that also offered up good opinions on the subject, but maybe it's the aura of "official industry recognition" of the supposed best of the year. Plus, it's always fun to cheer when you think they got something right and complain when you disagree. So, on with the show:

Nominees, 2008, Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards
Best Short Story
“Book,” by Yuichi Yokoyama, in New Engineering (PictureBox)
“At Loose Ends,” by Lewis Trondheim, in Mome #8 (Fantagraphics)
“Mr. Wonderful,” by Dan Clowes, in New York Times Sunday Magazine (accessible online at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/ma...gesClowes.html)
“Town of Evening Calm,” by Fumiyo Kouno, in Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms (Last Gasp)
“Whatever Happened to Fletcher Hanks?” by Paul Karasik, in I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets! (Fantagraphics)
“Young Americans,” by Emile Bravo, in Mome #8 (Fantagraphics)
Crap, I haven't read any of these. I love the choice of something from New Engineering, since that book seems so weird and crazy. And I always hear really good things about Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms (I really need to read that one). And Daniel Clowes is awesome; I should probably just break down and read "Mr. Wonderful" online instead of waiting for a print version. So, yeah, I don't know who should win, and I can't think of anything else that should have been nominated off the top of my head. I'm off to a good start here, aren't I?
Best Single Issue (or One-Shot)
Amelia Rules! #18: “Things I Cannot Change,” by Jimmy Gownley (Renaissance)
Delilah Dirk and the Treasure of Constantinople, by Tony Cliff (self-published)
Johnny Hiro #1, by Fred Chao (AdHouse)
Justice League of America #11: “Walls,” by Brad Meltzer and Gene Ha (DC)
Sensational Spider-Man Annual: “To Have or to Hold,” by Matt Fraction and Salvador Larroca (Marvel)
I never read Amelia Rules!, but I hear it's good. I've never heard of Delilah Dirk. Huh. Johnny Hiro was pretty good, but I don't know if it was one of the best single issues of the year. That Justice League story was just about the only one in Brad Meltzer's run that people didn't hate, but I doubt that makes it worthy of this award. Gene Ha's art sure looked nice when I flipped through it though. And that Spider-Man annual was nice, a good celebration of Peter Parker and Mary Jane's marriage before it was wiped from existence. But I don't know, I'm sure there were better single issues than any of these last year. How about an issue of Casanova, or DMZ (#19 was pretty great), or The Spirit, or that third issue of Madman Atomic Comics?
Best Continuing Series
The Boys, by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson (Dynamite)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 8, by Joss Whedon, Brian K. Vaughan, Georges Jeanty, and Andy Owens (Dark Horse)
Naoki Urasawa’s Monster, by Naoki Urasawa (Viz)
The Spirit, by Darwyn Cooke (DC)
Y: The Last Man, by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra, and Jose Marzan, Jr. (Vertigo/DC)
Whoa, The Boys? That's pretty cool that it's getting recognized. Although I don't know if I would agree with the award for 2007, it's only gotten really good in the last few months. 2007 was mostly that first arc and the bit where the Batman/Iron Man analogue was screwing everything he saw. As for the other stuff, I don't really care about Buffy, Monster is awesome, The Spirit was pretty damn good (although, again, the best issue, Darwyn Cooke's final one, didn't come out until 2008), and Y: The Last Man went out wonderfully. I would also nominate DMZ, Casanova, Criminal, and maybe All-Star Superman (although I think I liked it better than most people in 2007), but these are mostly good choices.
Best Limited Series
Atomic Robo, by Brian Clevinger and Scott Wegender (Red 5 Comics)
Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born, by Peter David, Robin Furth, and Jae Lee (Marvel)
Nightly News, by Jonathan Hickman (Image)
Parade (with Fireworks), by Michael Cavallaro (Shadowline/Image)
The Umbrella Academy, by Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá (Dark Horse)
Wow, I wouldn't have expected The Nightly News or Parade (With Fireworks) to get nominated, but it's awesome that they did. They were both really good. As were Atomic Robo and The Umbrella Academy. The Dark Tower was decent, but the best part was the art; I don't think it deserves the nomination. But overall, good picks. The only other addition I can think of is Gutsville, but that series is so late, it's probably fallen off most people's radar.
Best New Series
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 8, by Joss Whedon, Brian K. Vaughan, Georges Jeanty, and Andy Owens (Dark Horse)
Immortal Iron Fist, by Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, David Aja, and others (Marvel)
Johnny Hiro, by Fred Chao (AdHouse)
The Infinite Horizon, by Gerry Duggan and Phil Noto (Image)
Scalped, by Jason Aaron and R. M. Guéra (Vertigo/DC)
Man, I really need to read Scalped. Other than that one, I've already stated my ambivalence toward Buffy and my like of Johnny Hiro (although I've only read that first issue). Immortal Iron Fist is super-cool, so I'm on board for that one. But The Infinite Horizon is an odd choice. It's not that great, from what I've seen so far, and I declined to keep reading it when the most recent issue came out this week. What about Army@Love? Didn't that start last year? That series deserves more recognition. Eh, I'll go with Iron Fist. Matt Fraction!
Best Publication for Kids
Amelia Rules! and Amelia Rules! Funny Stories, by Jimmy Gownley (Renaissance)
Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, edited by Jeremy Barlow (Dark Horse)
Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 and Mouse Guard: Winter 1152, by David Petersen (Archaia)
The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain, by Peter Sis (Frank Foster Books/Farrar, Straus & Giroux)
Yotsuba&!, by Kiyohiko Azuma (ADV)
Mouse Guard! And again with Amelia Rules!. And I don't like shoving Yotsuba&! in the kids' category; I expect adults will get more out of it. Ah, whatever, I don't worry about this stuff too much. But I would also submit Andi Watson's Glister as a damn good book for the young'uns.
Best Publication for Teens
Laika, by Nick Abadzis (First Second)
The Mighty Skullboy Army, by Jacob Chabot (Dark Horse)
The Annotated Northwest Passage, by Scott Chantler (Oni)
PX! Book One: A Girl and Her Panda, by Manny Trembley and Eric A. Anderson (Shadowline/Image)
Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow, by James Sturm and Rich Tommaso (Center for Cartoon Studies/Hyperion)
PX! Awesome! I love that my buddy Manny Trembley gets some recognition. Really, everybody should check this one out (here's my review). As for the other stuff, I should really read Laika sometime (along with First in Space, to complete the "animals in space" series), and I don't know if Northwest Passage is really for teens rather than adults. It's a good book though (again, here's my review). And, hey, they put a manga in the "kids" section, but not the "teens" one?! Shouldn't Naruto or Bleach or something be here?
Best Humor Publication
Dwight T. Albatross’s The Goon Noir, edited by Matt Dryer (Dark Horse)
Johnny Hiro, by Fred Chao (AdHouse)
Lucha Libre, by Jerry Frissen, Bill, Gobi, Fabien M., Nikola Witko, Hervé Tanquelle et al. (Image)
Perry Bible Fellowship: The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories, by Nicholas Gurewitch (Dark Horse)
Wonton Soup, by James Stokoe (Oni)
Weird, I wouldn't have thought of Wonton Soup as a humor book. If that one counts, why not King City or Scott Pilgrim? Or Empowered, that's a funny series. Eh, Wonton Soup is pretty good though. As are Lucha Libre and Perry Bible Fellowship. In fact, the latter should probably win. I've already talked about Johnny Hiro (that one's popular this year, isn't it?). The Goon Noir is an odd choice. It's not nearly as funny as the regular Goon series, but that only barely came out last year, so they couldn't really nominate it. I'm not sure what else should be nominated. Maybe Yotsuba&!; this would probably be a better category for that series.
Best Anthology
Best American Comics 2007, edited by Anne Elizabeth Moore and Chris Ware (Houghton Mifflin)
5, by Gabriel Bá, Becky Cloonan, Fabio Moon, Vasilis Lolos, and Rafael Grampa (self-published)
Mome, edited by Gary Groth and Eric Reynolds (Fantagraphics)
Postcards: True Stories That Never Happened, edited by Jason Rodriguez (Villard)
24Seven, vol. 2, edited by Ivan Brandon (Image)
I haven't read any of these, but I would love to get my hands on 5. That was just a self-published convention special by the artists; no fair for those of us who didn't go to San Diego! Eh, these are probably all good choices (except maybe Postcards; I read some middling reviews of that one), so no complaints here. The only other anthology I can think of is Popgun, but I don't remember if that one came out in 2007 or early 2008.
Best Digital Comic
The Abominable Charles Christopher, by Karl Kerschl, www.abominable.transmission-x.com
Billy Dogma, Immortal, by Dean Haspiel, www.deanhaspiel.com/immortal.html
The Process, by Joe Infurnari, www.theprocesscomic.com
PX! By Manny Trembley and Eric A. Anderson, www.pandaxpress.com
Sugarshock!, by Joss Whedon and Fabio Moon, http://www.myspace.com/darkhorsepres...m=1&storynum=2
Wow, good choices here (although I haven't read any of The Abominable Charles Christopher). Billy Dogma is awesome, the previously-mentioned PX! is tons of fun, and The Process is trippy and cool. Sugarshock! was also fun, but not too amazing (although Fabio Moon's artwork is always something to celebrate). There are probably others that could be mentioned, but the only one I can think of is Templar, Arizona. That's a series deserving of awards.
Best Reality-Based Work
Laika, by Nick Abadzis (First Second)
The Magical Life of Long Tack Sam, by Ann Marie Fleming (Riverhead Books/Penguin Group)
Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow, by James Sturm and Rich Tommaso (Center for Cartoon Studies/Hyperion)
Sentences: The Life of MF Grimm, by Percy Carey and Ronald Wimberly (Vertigo/DC)
White Rapids, by Pascal Blanchet (Drawn & Quarterly)
Crap, I haven't read any of these either. I hear they're all pretty good though. How about Alice in Sunderland; does that count? Man, did that get nominated for anything? If not, weird; it was incredible.
Best Graphic Album—New
The Arrival, by Shaun Tan (Arthur A. Levine/Scholastic)
Bookhunter, by Jason Shiga (Sparkplug Books)
Essex County, vols. 1-2: Tales from the Farm/Ghost Stories, by Jeff Lemire (Top Shelf)
Exit Wounds, by Rutu Modan (Drawn & Quarterly)
Percy Gloom, by Cathy Malkasian (Fantagraphics)
Hey, more really good choices. I've gotta check out Bookhunter and Percy Gloom. But I'll be happy if either The Arrival or Exit Wounds wins, I dug both of those. I also think The Salon, Alice in Sunderland, and Chance in Hell were pretty great. But you can't nominate everything. Oh, and what about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier? I guess people didn't like it all that much.
Best Graphic Album—Reprint
Agents of Atlas Hardcover, by Jeff Parker, Leonard Kirk, and Kris Justice (Marvel)
Gødland Celestial Edition, by Joe Casey and Tom Scioli (Image)
James Sturm’s America: God, Gold, and Golems, by James Sturm (Drawn & Quarterly)
Mouse Guard: Fall 1152, by David Petersen (Archaia)
Super Spy, by Matt Kindt (Top Shelf)
Wait, collections of series count as reprints? Huh. I haven't read James Sturm's America (but I want to), but all the others are good. Super Spy is odd for this category though; didn't it reprint some of a webcomic, but with lots of additions and a different format? Whatever; it was my favorite book of the year, so I hope it wins.
Best Archival Collection/Project—Comic Strips
(The Complete) Dream of the Rarebit Fiend, by Winsor McCay (Ulrich Merkl)
Complete Terry and the Pirates, vol. 1, by Milton Caniff (IDW)
Little Sammy Sneeze, by Winsor McCay (Sunday Press)
Popeye, vol. 2: Well Blow Me Down, by E. C. Segar (Fantagraphics)
Sundays with Walt and Skeezix, by Frank King (Sunday Press)
Man, that Rarebit Fiend book is pretty awesome. The others are all nice too; this is definitely a golden age of classic strip reprints. I've got no preference here.
Best Archival Collection/Project—Comic Books
Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus, vol. 1, by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko (Marvel)
Apollo’s Song, by Osamu Tezuka (Vertical)
The Completely MAD Don Martin, by Don Martin (Running Press)
Daredevil Omnibus, by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson (Marvel)
I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets! by Fletcher Hanks (Fantagraphics)
I don't know why the Tezuka book counts as "archival", but the others all seem like good choices, I suppose. That Don Martin book is huge, and there's good stuff in the Spider-Man and Daredevil books, but the Fletcher Hanks book will probably win, since everybody loves it. I really need to check it out one of these days.
Best U.S. Edition of International Material
The Arrival, by Shaun Tan (Arthur A. Levine/Scholastic)
Aya, by Marguerite Abouet and Clement Obrerie (Drawn & Quarterly)
Garage Band, by Gipi (First Second)
I Killed Adolf Hitler, by Jason (Fantagraphics)
The Killer, by Matz and Luc Jacamon (Archaia)
Gipi! Jason! Sweet! Wait, The Arrival is "international"? I guess Australia counts, but I would prefer the nominees come from non-English-speaking countries. Of course, it's a silent book, so that doesn't really matter. Anyway, I really need to read Aya, and I've heard The Killer is good. I would say Exit Wounds should be in here, but I guess it was published in the U.S. first, so it's not "international". Ooh, I thought of another one: Town Boy!
Best U.S. Edition of International Material—Japan
The Ice Wanderer and Other Stories, by Jiro Taniguchi (Fanfare/Ponent Mon)
MW, by Osamu Tezuka (Vertical)
Naoki Urasawa’s Monster, by Naoki Urasawa (Viz)
New Engineering by Yuichi Yokoyama (PictureBox)
Tekkonkinkreet: Black & White, by Taiyo Matsumoto (Viz)
Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms, by Fumiyo Kouno (Last Gasp)
Damn, tough category. MW is good, but not great; Monster is cool, and Tekkon Kinkreet totally rocks. I do also want to read all the others as well. If I was going to add anything, it would be Nana. Maybe next year, since the explosive volume 8 came out in January. And what about Drifting Classroom? That series probably isn't to everybody's taste, but I would argue that it's one of the best manga out there. Hey, maybe it should be in the "archival collection/project" category. And also Phoenix; that's classic Tezuka!
Best Writer
Ed Brubaker, Captain America, Criminal, Daredevil, Immortal Iron Fist (Marvel)
James Sturm, Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow (Center for Cartoon Studies/Hyperion)
Brian K. Vaughan, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Dark Horse); Ex Machina (WildStorm/DC), Y: The Last Man (Vertigo/DC),
Joss Whedon, Astonishing X-Men (Marvel); Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Dark Horse)
Brian Wood, DMZ, Northlanders (Vertigo/DC); Local (Oni)
Man, the Eisners love Ed Brubaker, don't they? Myself, I would go with Brian Wood here; he had a hell of a year. But James Sturm is a weird choice to stick in the middle of these mainstream pamphlet writers. If you're going to include him, I would think people like Adrian Tomine, Daniel Clowes, and Chris Ware would be better choices. I guess they get their own category, as writer/artists. Oh, hey, how about Alan Moore? I know, nobody else but me liked that book.
Best Writer/Artist
Jeff Lemire, Essex County: Tales from the Farm/Ghost Stories (Top Shelf)
Rutu Modan, Exit Wounds (Drawn & Quarterly)
Shaun Tan, The Arrival (Arthur A. Levine/Scholastic)
Chris Ware, Acme Novelty Library #18 (Acme Novelty)
Fumi Yoshinaga, Flower of Life; The Moon and Sandals (Digital Manga)
See, here's where the guys I mentioned go. Chris Ware! He should automatically win any category in which he's nominated. But the others are good too (although I haven't read any Jeff Lemire or Fumi Yoshinaga). If I had to add anybody, I would go with Bryan Talbot (Alice in Sunderland) or Nick Bertozzi (The Salon). Or Matt Kindt (Super Spy)! Or Adam Warren (Empowered)! Gilbert Hernandez (Chance in Hell, Speak of the Devil)! Eddie Campbell (The Black Diamond Detective Agency)! Bryan Lee O'Malley (Scott Pilgrim)! Okay, I'll stop now.
Best Writer/Artist—Humor
Kyle Baker, The Bakers: Babies and Kittens (Image)
Fred Chao, Johnny Hiro (AdHouse)
Brandon Graham, King City (Tokyopop); Multiple Warheads (Oni)
Eric Powell, The Goon (Dark Horse)
James Stokoe, Wonton Soup (Oni)
Hey, Brandon Graham! This is another tough category; Kyle Baker and Eric Powell are both great humorists. Maybe this is where I should have mentioned Adam Warren and Bryan Lee O'Malley. Eh, it's all good. I think I might be tiring of this; I'm making less and less sense.
Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team
Steve Epting/Butch Guice/Mike Perkins, Captain America (Marvel)
Pia Guerra/Jose Marzan, Jr., Y: The Last Man (Vertical/DC)
Jae Lee, Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born (Marvel)
Takeshi Obata, Death Note, Hikaru No Go (Viz)
Ethan Van Sciver, Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps (DC)
I love that Takeshi Obata got into this category. But why not Naoki Urasawa (Monster) or somebody else if you're going to include him? I'm pulling for Pia Guerra; she did some great work on those last few issues of Y. Also, no Frank Quitely? That's a pretty big oversight. Jae Lee is a weird choice too, since the coloring was such a big part of the art on that series, I don't think you can really separate out the pencils. I would also mention Fabio Moon (Casanova) and Gabriel Ba (Casanova, The Umbrella Academy), Darwyn Cooke (The Spirit), and Sean Phillips (Criminal). Maybe Jeff Smith (Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil)? Cliff Chiang (Doctor Thirteen: Architecture and Morality)? And there's always Eduardo Risso on 100 Bullets. (Sorry if I neglected to mention any inkers there).
Best Painter or Multimedia Artist (interior art)
Ann-Marie Fleming, The Magical Life of Long Tack Sam (Riverhead Books/Penguin Group)
Eric Powell, The Goon: Chinatown (Dark Horse)
Bryan Talbot, Alice in Sunderland (Dark Horse)
Ben Templesmith, Fell (Image); 30 Days of Night: Red Snow; Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse (IDW)
Ah, there's Bryan Talbot! I'm glad he got nominated somewhere. I don't know about Ann-Marie Fleming (I haven't read that book), but the other choices are quite good too. Ben Templesmith really does some awesome work.

Best Cover Artist
John Cassaday, Astonishing X-Men (Marvel); Lone Ranger (Dynamite)
James Jean, Fables (Vertigo/DC); The Umbrella Academy (Dark Horse); Process Recess 2; Superior Showcase 2 (AdHouse)
J. G. Jones, 52 (DC)
Jae Lee, Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born (Marvel)
Jim Lee, All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder (DC); World of Warcraft (WildStorm/DC)
Jim Lee? Really?! I guess if you like big 90s muscles and whatnot. Ugh. This one will probably go to James Jean again, that list of covers is hard to beat. But J.G. Jones did some really good work on 52, and John Cassaday always looks nice. Jae Lee is also pretty cool. I'm not sure about anybody else. Maybe Sean Phillips on Criminal?
Best Coloring
Jimmy Gownley, Amelia Rules! (Renaissance)
Steve Hamaker, Bone, vols. 5 and 6 (Scholastic); Shazam: Monster Society of Evil (DC)
Richard Isanove, Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born (Marvel)
Ronda Pattison, Atomic Robo (Red 5 Comics)
Dave Stewart, BPRD, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Cut, Hellboy, Lobster Johnson, The Umbrella Academy (Dark Horse); The Spirit (DC)
Alex Wald, Shaolin Cowboy (Burlyman)
I'm not sure about most of these (they're all quite nice, especially Steve Hamaker on Shazam and Ronda Pattison), but this should definitely go to Dave Stewart. He brought so much great energy to The Umbrella Academy and The Spirit, and that Hellboy series drawn by Duncan Fegredo looked amazing. He also colored Eric Powell on that Superman arc, and now he does the colors on The Goon. He's just amazing.
Best Lettering
Jared K. Fletcher, Catwoman, The Spirit (DC); Sentences: Life of MF Grimm (Vertigo/DC)
Jimmy Gownley, Amelia Rules! (Renaissance)
Todd Klein, Justice, Simon Dark (DC); Fables, Jack of Fables, Crossing Midnight (Vertigo/DC); League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier (WildStorm/DC); Nexus (Rude Dude)
Lewis Trondheim, “At Loose Ends,” Mome 7 & 8 (Fantagraphics)
Chris Ware, Acme Novelty Library #18 (Acme Novelty)
Ah, I'm sure this will just go to Todd Klein like always, but I would love if Chris Ware won. I dunno, I don't always notice lettering, so it's rare that somebody seems to be great at it. But that cursive script Ware used in Acme Novelty Library #18 was really nice, making the story intimate and readable. Yeah, he should win.
Special Recognition
Chuck BB, Black Metal (artist, Oni)
Matt Silady, The Homeless Channel (writer/artist, AiT/PlanetLar)
Jamie Tanner, The Aviary (writer/artist, AdHouse)
James Vining, First in Space (writer/artist, Oni)
Isn't this basically "best new artist"? These guys are all good, but I would go with Matt Silady. And maybe add Jonathan Hickman (The Nightly News).
Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism
Comic Art #9, edited by Todd Hignite (Buenaventura Press)
Comic Foundry, edited by Tim Leong (Comic Foundry)
The Comics Journal, edited by Gary Groth, Michael Dean, and Kristy Valenti (Fantagraphics)
The Comics Reporter, produced by Tom Spurgeon and Jordan Raphael (www.comicsreporter.com)
Newsarama, produced by Matt Brady and Michael Doran (www.newsarama.com)
Wow, one issue of Comic Foundry gets you nominated? It's cool that it sounds like I'm being nominated there for Newsarama, but that's not me. Maybe next year. I think Tom Spurgeon should win. Yup.
Best Comics-Related Book
The Art of P. Craig Russell, edited by Joe Pruett (Desperado)
The Artist Within, by Greg Preston (Dark Horse)
Manga: The Complete Guide, by Jason Thompson (Del Rey Manga)
Meanwhile . . . A Biography of Milton Caniff, by R. C. Harvey (Fantagraphics)
Reading Comics: How Graphic Novels Work and What They Mean, by Douglas Wolk (Da Capo Press)
Understanding Manga and Anime, by Robin Brenner (Libraries Unlimited/Greenwood Publishing)
Hey, what about Pulphope, Paul Pope's art book? The others are probably all good, but I would go with Jason Thompson's book. That guy is cool.
Best Publication Design
(The Complete) Dream of the Rarebit Fiend, designed by Ulrich Merkl (Ulrich Merkl)
Complete Terry and the Pirates, designed by Dean Mullaney (IDW)
Heroes, vol. 1, designed by John Roshell/Comicraft (WildStorm/DC)
Little Sammy Sneeze, designed by Philippe Ghielmetti (Sunday Press)
Process Recess 2, designed by James Jean and Chris Pitzer (AdHouse)
Sundays with Walt and Skeezix, designed by Chris Ware (Sunday Press)
I think I'm getting into the categories that I don't know anything about. But the Heroes book doesn't seem to belong; it's just a generic book of comics with a silly Alex Ross cover. I choose Chris Ware, because I said he should win every category.
Hall of Fame
Judges’ Choices: R. F. Outcault, Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson

Nominees (4 will be selected by voters):
Matt Baker
John Broome
Reed Crandall
Rudolph Dirks
Arnold Drake
George Evans
Creig Flessel
Graham Ingels
Mort Meskin
Tarpe Mills
Gilbert Shelton
George Tuska
Mort Weisinger
Len Wein
Barry Windsor-Smith
Wow, I don't know about a lot of these, but I would go with Arnold Drake, Len Wein, and Barry Windsor-Smith. But they're probably all worthy choices.
-----

And it looks like that's all. Sorry if this was boring. Feel free to add your own opinions in the comments, or tell me I'm wrong about what I said. Debate is good!

Anyway, I'll hopefully have a review up tonight; we'll see if I can find time for it.

2 comments:

  1. Are you finally gonna pick up Scalped now? Best comic being published in my opinion. Just had my Dad read it and he didn't like it as much as Y: The Last Man, DMZ or Criminal though, but he's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I really need to get Scalped (ha!). It's on my list of "should reads". The problem is, I've got a bigger list of "need to reads", or rather a pile of books to get to. But I'll get there eventually.

    ReplyDelete