Monday, April 14, 2008

This week, I put something witty in the title of the post

Well, I accomplished that literally, if not by definition. Anyway, I've got a review of the first issue of The Damned: Prodigal Sons up at Comics Bulletin as part of their Sunday Slugfest. I loved the first miniseries, and this sequel is shaping up to be pretty awesome as well. And here's some other stuff to buy:

New comics this week (Wednesday, 4/16/08):

Amazing Spider-Man #557

Well, looks like I'm stuck buying this for now, just for the art. Not that the story has been bad or anything, but Chris Bachalo is just incredible. Hopefully I won't regret it later. And I think I'll be getting the next arc as well, since that one features the stylings of Marcos Martin. And here I was supposed to be trying not to spend too much money...

Atomic Robo #1 3rd Print
Atomic Robo #2 2nd Print
Atomic Robo #3 2nd Print
Atomic Robo #4 2nd Print
Atomic Robo #5 2nd Print

Well, here's another chance to pick up this series if you haven't been following it. I highly recommend it, so get it while you can. Or wait for the collection...

Damned Prodigal Sons #1

Did I mention that this is pretty damned good? (see what I did there?) Really, read this series. Well, read the first part first, but then read this one. It's awesome.

Infinite Horizon #3

Hmmm, I had been following this modern-day retelling of The Odyssey, but I think I might drop it, if only because it's late, and I've barely noticed. Phil Noto's art has been nice, and the story seemed interesting, but I expect I can save the money and not feel like I'm missing much.

Pigeons from Hell #1

I pre-ordered this series just for the awesome art of Nathan Fox. It's written by Joe R. Lansdale, and it's based on a story by Robert E. Howard. I hope it doesn't suck or anything. Here's a three-page preview.

Powers Annual 2008

I've switched to waiting for the trade on Powers (which means I'll get to pick up where I left off in a year or two, the way the book's schedule is going), but I did get to read a pre-release PDF of this issue, and I must say, if you like the series, you'll most likely dig it. I should have a full review up on Comics Bulletin tomorrow, I think.

Programme #10

We're getting close to the end of this weird "warring superheroes" series from Peter Milligan, and I'm not sure it's completely been worth the ride, but I don't regret reading it. Unless it ends horribly or something. From what I recall, this issue sees Max fight Senator Joe in order to stop a race war. But he should really get back to fighting those crazy, murderous Russians.

War is Hell First Flight Phantom Eagle Max #2

Man, I totally dug the first issue of this miniseries. Give me any war comics that Garth Ennis decides to write. Let's keep up the energy on this one, fellas!

Adventures Of Johnny Bunko The Last Career Guide Youll Ever Need GN

I don't know much about this book, but it appears to be a self-help-type book, told in manga format. That's pretty crazy, but it seems like a cool idea, for those who might want to read that sort of thing. I'll have to keep an eye out for it in bookstores so I can take a look.

American Flagg HC

Apparently, this collects the first nine issues of Howard Chaykin's series in some sort of special collectors' set. The bad news is that it's $79. Whoa. Or am I wrong, and this is a different book? I always hear that this was a great comic, so I'd love to read it someday, but that's a lot of money to spend. Well, I can always look for it at a library.

Faker TPB

This Vertigo miniseries from Mike Carey and Jock looked interesting, but it got some middling reviews. I might try to read it sometime, but I don't know if I'll be snapping it up off the shelves this week.

Hellboy Vol. 1 Library Edition

This looks to be a fancy hardcover collection of the first two Hellboy stories, "Seed of Destruction" and "Wake the Devil". It's $50, but I bet it's nice-looking. Myself, I need to get these stories sometime, but I'll go for a cheaper format.

Howard the Duck Media Duckling TPB

This collects the recent miniseries by Ty Templeton and Juan Bobillo, which I considered getting, but decided to save my money and pick up the trade if I heard it was good. Well, I didn't hear any such thing (of course, I didn't hear that it was bad either, so maybe it's just mediocre), so I probably won't get it. Interestingly, it also contains the first issue of Steve Gerber's original series from 1976, probably out of some sort of tribute to the recently-deceased writer. That would be nice to read, but I would rather get the Essential collection and read a whole bunch of the series. Or that big Omnibus that's supposed to come out sometime...

Invincible Iron Man Omnibus Vol. 1

Speaking of Omnibuses, here's your chance to read tons and tons of Iron Man stories from back in the days when he wore that clunky grey suit. Would be worth checking out just for the Jack Kirby artwork, and Stan Lee's 60s writing is always fun. Not that I'm planning to drop a Benjamin on it or anything (not when I don't own the Fantastic Four Omnibuses).

Nixons Pals GN

It's a graphic novel from Joe Casey and Chris Burnham about a super-powered detective, or something. I usually give Casey the benefit of the doubt, so I'll be getting it. Here, have a preview.

Stupid Comics Phoenix Edition GN

A collection of Jim Mahfood's strips for a Phoenix alternative weekly newspaper. I dig Mahfood, but I probably won't spend the money on it, at least not right now.

Drifting Classroom Vol 11 TP

Oh, man, I'm still three volumes behind, and here's the final volume of the series. I love Kazuo Umezu's insane energy, so I know I'll get this as soon as I can, but I don't know when that will be. I might have to go buy them all at once and burn my mind out on a weekend binge of juvenile violence. Sounds like fun.

Naoki Urasawas Monster Vol 14 TP

And here's another manga I'm hopelessly behind on, but I do plan to catch up someday. Really!

Shojo Beat Vol 4 #5 May 08

I have this already though, and I really need to do my monthly write-up. Watch for it!
-----

And that appears to be everything! We'll see how much I end up spending this week; hopefully my wife won't get mad at me. Anyway, I'll hopefully have another review of some sort up tonight, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment