Sunday, March 18, 2007

UPDATED! Back to the regular schedule: New comics!

Actually, I'm a little early with this post, thanks to Chris Butcher.

However, before I get to the regular post, I wanted to point out the preview of DC's solicits on Newsarama. Specifically, Batman #667, which has art by J.H. Williams III in a story about the Batmen of All Nations. Awesome. DC (and Marvel) should be releasing their full solicitations this week, so I'll look at those in depth when they come out, but I was pretty stoked when I heard about this, so I figured I'd go ahead and jump the gun.

Okay, on to:

New comics this week (Wednesday, 3/21/07):

ARMY @ LOVE #1 (MR) 2.99

Ooh, I've been waiting for this to come out. Rick Veitch with a satirical take on the future of the U.S. Army. Should be enjoyable, weird, and freaky.

EMPOWERED TP 14.95

Adam Warren's "sexy superhero comedy" finally comes out. Should be fun, with lot's of nudity, comedy, "kewl" slang, violence, and technobabble. Don't let me down, Adam!

FAFHRD AND THE GRAY MOUSER TP 19.95

I've heard this is good. It's by Howard Chaykin and Mike Mignola. I don't know if I'll spring the $20 for it right now (I'm getting a bit short on cash for this month), but I'll keep my eye on it as something to possibly pick up sometime.

IT RHYMES WITH LUST TP 14.95

This is an early graphic novel by Arnold Drake, who just died. Did this just happen to come out right after his death, or did somebody jump on the opportunity? Huh. I've heard it's quite good, so while I probably won't buy it this week, I'll try to get it sometime.

KUROSAGI CORPSE DELIVERY SERVICE VOL 3 TP 10.95

I really need to get volume 2 of this series. I dug the first volume. Man, I'm behind on a lot of manga series.

MARVEL ADVENTURES AVENGERS #11 2.99

A Jeff Parker-written story about the team fighting the Sons of the Serpent. Probably fun. I've enjoyed Parker's Marvel Adventures comics that I've read, so I might pick this up. I'm still waiting for the one with Ego the Living Planet!

PHOENIX VOL 10 TP 15.99

Another manga series that I'm woefully behind on, in that I don't actually own any volumes. But I intend to buy them all someday!

PUNISHER PRESENTS BARRACUDA MAX #2 (OF 5) (MR) 3.99

I picked up the first issue of this mini, and enjoyed it quite a bit. So I'll probably end up getting this whole series, even though I haven't been following Ennis's Punisher series. I'll try to get caught up on that someday too.

RUNAWAYS SAGA 3.99

This is one of those "recap" comics that Marvel puts out every so often so new readers can get caught up on what's going on if they're new to a book. I imagine this is aimed at people who are starting Runaways with the next issue, when Joss Whedon begins writing. I suppose it would be worth reading if you're one of those readers, but I doubt it will be very good.

SPIDER-MAN LOVES MARY JANE #16 2.99

The first issue with the new artist, David Hahn. I hope the book continues to be good.

SPIRIT #4 2.99

Silk Satin shows up this issue. I predict enjoyability. Darwyn Cooke is a worthy successor to Eisner on The Spirit, in my opinion. Don't let me down, D.!

SWALLOW BOOK THREE (MR) 40.00

Ashley Wood's art book/magazine. Pretty pricey, so I probably won't be getting it. But I wish I could.

TESTAMENT #16 (MR) 2.99

This comic seems to have taken a downturn in the last couple issues. The art seems more rushed than it used to, and I'm getting more confused, and not in a good way. If I don't like this issue, I might have to consider dropping it. Too bad, it was one that I really liked for a while there.

Y THE LAST MAN #55 (MR) 2.99

I'm always happy when a new issue of this comic comes out, especially since there won't be too many more. It's going to be bimonthly until the last issue, which means the finale won't be out until early 2008. That'll be a long time to wait, but I bet Vaughan and Guerra will make it worth it.
-----

Looks like that's it, unless I spot some addition on Diamond's official list. I expect to look at solicitations when they come out this week, and more of my usual schtick. Stay tuned!
-----

UPDATE! on 3/19:

It wasn't on Chris Butcher's list, and the official Diamond list isn't out yet, but apparently Texas Strangers #1 is supposed to come out this week. Newsarama has a preview. I mentioned this book a while back, and I told writer Antony Johnston I would check it out, so expect a review.
-----

UPDATE 2: Diamond's list is out, and here's a couple more additions:
PIRATES OF CONEY ISLAND #6 (OF 8) $2.99
This series is awesome. I'm not sure, but this issue might feature Cadillacula. Sweet.
GODLAND #17 $2.99
Just in time for Greg Burgas's rant about postmodern superhero comics. Check that essay out, it's a fun read. And I'm excited to read Godland, it's lot's of fun. Maybe Adam will finally fight the Triad, or whatever those three Freudian alien guys are called.

No comments:

Post a Comment