Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Tragedy!

I just caught up on a show that I Tivoed, so here's my thoughts:

Battlestar Galactica
(episode 3.17):

Wow, I didn't see that coming. Now I kind of understand all the romantic complications that have been dragging along for the middle part of this season. I'm interested to see what comes of this as well. Okay, that's enough for the vague reactions, now it's SPOILER time.

So. Kara. Dead? Probably not. I've been reading comic books (of the superhero variety) long enough to suspect she'll be back. But how? I was beginning to think she might be a Cylon (one of the mysteeerious Final Five!) earlier in the episode, but now it seems like a fairly probable, um, possiblity. You've got the crazy visions, and the weird oracle lady (who I suspect is also a Cylon) repeating word-for-word what the other Cylon (Leonus? I forget his name, even though they said it several times this episode) said to her. Although it's interesting to see that her mother was a veteran of the first Cylon war. Maybe the Cylons fixed her up with an adopted Kara baby (which is an interesting concept in itself). So I'm betting the big cliffhanger in the finale will be the reveal that she's a Cylon. Although they'll probably surprise me.

As I mentioned, her death makes me see all the love quadrangle hoo-hah from earlier in the season in a whole new light. Obviously, if they're going to kill her off (or, as I suspect, keep her around but make a major change to her character and status on the show), they should deal with her relationship with Lee. But it would be too easy to get them together just before killing her off. That would make him a widower and really pile on the angst, which we really don't need. So, while it was dragged out for quite a while, I think I understand the reasons for it now. Nicely done, boys.

As for the prophecy/dream stuff, well, that's kind of a crapshoot anyway. Who knows if the writers even know exactly where they're going with this. But, the vision she was seeing was supposed to be a pointer to Earth, right? So what does it mean, and is she supposed to lead them (either humans or Cylons) to Earth somehow? If she's a Cylon, is this some sort of arcanic programming? I say this because it seems the Cylons apparently don't know who the "Final Five" (I hate that term) are, so they wouldn't know what's going on with her. Ah, who knows. I'm just throwing out ideas here, and they might be stupid ideas anyway.

Anyway, good episode. I'm starting to feel hooked, and I probably haven't been into a show this much since I was a big fan of The X-Files. Keep it up, fellas!

No comments:

Post a Comment