Tuesday, March 20, 2007

It's solicitation week in Comics Internetville

Both DC and Marvel have released their solicitations for June 2007, so let's take a look. I'm probably more interested in DC, so I'll do them last.

Marvel:



Marvel Illustrated: Last of the Mohicans #2 (of 6) - I'm still not sure if I want to pick this up. Alex Maleev's cover looks nice.



Marvel Illustrated: Treasure Island #1 (of 6) - This one I'm pretty damn sure I don't want anything to do with, due to the presence on art of Mario Gully. He's the guy who does Ant, and even if he tones down the T&A completely, I am not interested in anything he does.



Legion of Monsters: Satana - On the other hand, while the subject (and cover) of this doesn't especially interest me, the presence of Jonathan Hickman (The Nightly News) as co-writer (with The Dark Tower's Robin Furth!) and co-artist intrigues me. I knew it was only a matter of time before the big guns snatched him up.



The Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born #5 (of 7) - I mentioned before that I think I'm hooked on this series, so I'll most likely be getting this. Another creepy cover by Jae Lee.



Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears #5 (of 6) - I don't know if I'll still be reading this one. Hell, I haven't decided whether to bother picking up issue #3.



The Punisher Presents: Barracuda #5 (of 5) - I liked the first issue of this mini, and the second comes out this week. I'll probably end up buying the whole series. Funny cover.



Spider-Man/Fantastic Four #3 (of 4) - More Jeff Parker/Mike Wieringo goodness (I hope). Don't let me down, guys!



Marvel Adventures: The Avengers #14 - Speaking of Jeff Parker, he's definitely trying to get me to buy this one, as the Avengers travel back in time to team up with the Agents of Atlas. With art by Leonard Kirk, who did the art on the Agents of Atlas miniseries. Jeez, Jeff, you know how to pull me in (even if I can't tell who any of those guys on the cover are).



Marvel Adventures: Fantastic Four #25 - In other Marvel Adventures activity, Frad Van Lente (Action Philosophers) writes this story of the Human Torch being flung through different alternate universes and meeting other versions of the FF. Sounds crazy fun.



Franklin Richards: World Be Warned #1 - Looks like a goof on "World War Hulk", Marvel's big summer event. Should be fun; I like all the Franklin Richards specials.



Immortal Iron Fist #7 - According to the solicitation text, this is a self-contained story about the Iron Fist that we saw in issue #2, with art by Travel Foreman. I wonder if this is going to be a regular thing. We've had a few pages in each issue of an Iron Fist of the past, so it would be cool to get stories about them every so often. It's a good idea. I'm glad I started buying this.



Iron Man: Hypervelocity #6 (of 6) - I love this miniseries, so I hope Adam Warren finishes it strong. Awesome cover, with the armor having lots of holes blown in it.



Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane #19 - Unless something drastic happens, I'll still be reading the book by the time this issue shows up. Interesting cover; don't tell me MJ is going to get together with Flash?! When does Sean McKeever stop writing the book? I hope it's not for a while.



Runaways #27 - Whoa, weird cover. Time travel? Who knows! Whedon seems to be doing interesting stuff with the book; I hope he doesn't ruin it, but I don't think he will.



Powers #27 - Looks like this is still showing up. I didn't read the solicitations text because I didn't want to spoil anything, so looks like that's all I have to say. Oh, I guess I could mention that the last issue's cliffhanger was interesting, and I definitely want to see where they go from there. Don't let me down, Bendis!



Criminal #7 - And it also looks like this is still showing up. I have very little idea what the next story arc is about, so I don't have much to say. I bet it will be good reading.

And that's it for Marvel. On to

DC:



Batman #667 - This is the issue I mentioned the other day, with J.H. Williams III on art in a story about the Batmen of All Nations. It should be awesome. At least, I really hope so.



Action Comics #851 - I wouldn't normally care about this, but it's at least partly in 3-D, which interests me. I might pick it up just for that. Yup, I fall for the obvious marketing ploy.



All-Star Superman #8 - Ooh, this looks cool. I don't know who that is on the left side of the cover (Lex Luthor?), and Bizarro doesn't look very, um, bizarre. And the rocket, which seems to be pieced together from signs and fireworks, is really cool. I guess what I'm saying is, the cover has me really interested in the story within. And that's what it's supposed to do, right?



The Spirit #7 - This is always a fun book (judging by the first three issues), but this one looks like a bit of a departure, if only because Darwyn Cooke is not doing anything besides the cover. There are three stories, one by Kyle Baker, with the others by Jimmy Palmiotti/Jordi Bernet
and Walt Simonson/Chris Sprouse. At least, I think those are the teamings. It will be worth it for Kyle Baker alone; I hope the other stories are also good.



Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil #4 (of 4) - Jeff Smith's awesome Captain Marvel series wraps up. It's been awesome so far, and I really doubt that will change.



The Amazing Transformations of Jimmy Olsen TPB - I doubt I'll buy this (although it would probably be fun to read), but I wanted to point out the sweet Brian Bolland cover.



Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus volume 2 HC - Volume one of this collected series should be out soon. I'll have to try to find it at a discount somewhere. Volume two doesn't actually come out until August. DC is trying to get all my money.



Clubbing - Another Minx book, this time by Andi Watson and Josh Howard. I've never been wowed by Watson, although Paris was pretty good, and Howard (Dead@17) doesn't really do anything for me. I might skip this one.



Gon volume 1 - Looks like DC's CMX imprint will be reprinting Gon. I've read the first volume of this, in one of its incarnations. I don't know if I'll be picking up any of these, but what I've read is pretty enjoyable.



Samurai Commando volume 1 - Now this looks cool. I've been considering importing a DVD of the live action Samurai Commando movie, so this might be worth reading. I might actually buy a manga from CMX! By the way, it has to do with a time-traveling group of modern-day soldiers ending up in ancient Japan alongside samurai warriors. An awesome concept; we'll see about the execution.



Midnighter #8 - Uh oh. This is by Christos Gage and John Paul Leon. I've been reading this book due to Garth Ennis's writing, so if he's leaving I might have to stop getting it. Not that I have anything against Gage or Leon, but it takes a trusted writer to get me reading about the Midnighter.



The Highwaymen #1 - This looks like a comic version of The Transporter or something. I'm not familiar with any of the creative talent involved, so I probably won't get it. But check out the cover: That girl is in a ridiculous pose, and it looks like the car is holding a gun. Hilarious!



Ex Machina #29 - Is this late? It's the finale of the "Power Down" storyline, which started in the most recent issue. Whatever; I'm sure I'll enjoy it.



Testament #19 - As I mentioned the other day, this comic is pushing its luck with me lately, so I don't know if I'll still be reading it when this issue shows up. Come on, get me back on board, Rushkoff!



DMZ #20 - I'm still on board with this one though. Nice cover. I can't wait to read it.



Fables #62 - As I mention every month, I buy this in trades, but I wanted to point out this beautiful cover by James Jean. I hope it's not indicating that Flycatcher is going to die. That would be sad.



Jack of Fables #12 - I dig this book too, and I love the snarky non-cover image. Keep up the good work, boys (and Jack)!



Army@Love #4 - And, finally, we get to this bit of strangeness, featuring the legs of a sexy battlezone nurse. Or something. The first issue of this comes out tomorrow. I can't wait.
-----

And it looks like that's all. Unless something else catches my eye. And Image should post something later in the week or next week. I'll talk about it when they do. I might have a review later tonight, or maybe tomorrow. Check back and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment