Friday, February 23, 2007

And I thought there would be less to watch this week

Tivo Alert (2/26-3/4):

TCM, Monday 2/26, 12:00 am EST: Meet John Doe, directed by Frank Capra. One of those classics that I haven't seen.

TCM, Monday 2/26, 9:30 am EST: 49th Parallel, directed by Michael Powell. I hear Michael Powell is a really good director, so I might try to catch this one. I'd rather see Peeping Tom or Black Narcissus though. This one's about a German U-boat in WWII. With Laurence Olivier, among others.

HBO Family, Tuesday 2/27, 12:40 am CST: Gandhi, directed by Richard Attenborough. I've never seen this, but it's supposed to be good. That's probably an understatement.

TCM, Tuesday 2/27, 2:00 pm EST: The Bad and the Beautiful, directed by Vincente Minnelli. Another classic I need to see, about Hollywood corruption and such.

HBO Family, Tuesday 2/27, 2:50 pm CST: A Little Princess, directed by Alfonso Cuaron. I usually watch darker movies than this, but I like everything I've seen by Cuaron, so I might check it out.

HBO Signature, Tuesday 2/27, 5:45 pm CST: Missing, directed by Costa-Gavras. I've never seen any Costa-Gavras movies, but he's supposed to be good. This one's about a father searching through Chile for his missing son, hence the title. Jack Lemmon and Sissy Spacek got Oscar nominations. Weirdly, this is also showing on HBO Family on 3/8, even though HBO lists it as having "Adult content, adult language, violence, brief nudity." Doesn't exactly sound like a typical night out with the kids.

TCM, Tuesday 2/27, 6:00 pm EST: After the Thin Man, directed by W.S. Van Dyke. I've only seen the first Thin Man movie, and it was great. I need to try to see the whole series.

TCM, Tuesday 2/27, 8:00 pm EST: My Man Godfrey, directed by Gregory La Cava. Classic screwball comedy about a wealthy lady who hires a homeless guy to be her butler.

TCM, Wednesday 2/28, 1:45 pm EST: Monsieur Verdoux, directed by Charles Chaplin. "A man woos and murders rich widows to support his invalid wife". That sounds pretty dark for Charlie Chaplin. It's from 1947; I haven't seen any of his non-silent work, so I'll have to check this one out.

TCM, Wednesday 2/28, 4:00 pm EST: The Great Dictator, directed by Charles Chaplin. Chaplin's send-up of Hitler. I always thought this was silent for some reason, but it came out in 1940, so I doubt it. I'll definitely watch this one.

TCM, Wednesday 2/28, 8:00 pm EST: The Train, directed by John Frankenheimer. WWII movie about French resistance fighters trying to stop Germans from stealing art. Was this Frankenheimer's first movie after The Manchurian Candidate? It sounds good.

TCM, Thursday 3/1, 5:00 am EST: The Conversation, directed by Francis Ford Coppola. I need to see this; I like conspiracy movies, and I've heard this one's good.

TCM, Thursday 3/1, 9:00 am EST: The Producers, directed by Mel Brooks. I can't believe I haven't seen this, so I'll rectify that here.

TCM, Thursday 3/1, 12:15 pm EST: I, Vitelloni, directed by Federico Fellini. I've never seen any Fellini movies, so this might be a place to start.

TCM, Thursday 3/1, 2:15 pm EST: Wild Strawberries, directed by Ingmar Bergman. I've never seen any Bergman movies either, so this might be a place to start with him.

TCM, Friday 3/2, 4:30 am EST: The Front, directed by Martin Ritt. About the 50's Hollywood blacklist, starring Woody Allen and Zero Mostel. I don't know too much about this movie, but it's one I've kind of wanted to see.

TCM, Friday 3/2, 6:30 am EST: Lady for a Day, directed by Frank Capra. I don't know if this is worth watching, but it's one of the Capra movies I haven't seen.

TCM, Friday 3/2, 8:00 pm EST: The Elephant Man, directed by David Lynch. Never seen this, but I dig John Hurt and David Lynch, so I might check it out.

IFC, Friday 3/2, 11:05 am and 6:45 pm CST: The Brothers McMullen, directed by Ed Burns. I've been meaning to see this (along with Burns' other movies) for a while now, so now's my chance.

IFC, Saturday 3/3, 12:55 am and Sunday 3/4, 1:00 am CST: Bus 174, directed by Jose Padilha. A Brazilian documentary about a kid who tried to rob a bus and took it hostage. I've heard it's really good.

HBO Signature, Saturday 3/3, 3:40 am CST: The Lady Eve, directed by Preston Sturges. HBO doesn't usually play this sort of movie, but it's a classic that I need to see, so I'll watch it.

TCM, Sunday 3/4, 6:00 pm EST: Witness for the Prosecution, directed by Billy Wilder. Another Billy Wilder movie that I need to see.
-----

Whew, I think that's everything. Again, I'll probably only watch a small portion of these, but in a perfect world I would have time to watch them all and more.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Matt

    I have seen a beautiful concert last night. The band was EST (Esbjorn Svensson Trio) from Sweden. They have played in a little concert hall. It was very humane.
    For more information, see http://www.est-music.com/

    Bye for now

    ReplyDelete