Friday, February 16, 2007

Lots to watch

Hey, it's time for another

Tivo Alert:

HBO Comedy, Sunday 2/18, 5:00 pm CST: Melvin and Howard, directed by Jonathan Demme. I've never seen any of Demme's earlier movies (pre-Silence of the Lambs), but I always hear that's his best stuff. I'll have to watch this one and see.

TCM, Monday 2/19, 8:00 am EST: Bell, Book, and Candle, directed by Richard Quine. A witch puts a love spell on a publisher. Stars James Stewart, Kim Novak, and Jack Lemmon. I've never even heard of this one, but it sounds interesting.

HBO Signature, Monday 2/19, 11:30 am and 11:00 pm CST: Great Expectations, directed by Alfonso Cuaron. I've heard mixed reviews of this movie, but Cuaron has directed some really good movies, so I might consider checking it out.

TCM, Tuesday 2/20, 4:15 am EST: Pennies From Heaven, directed by Herbert Ross. A musical starring Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters. And Christopher Walken! I've heard this is good; now's my chance to find out.

IFC, Tuesday 2/20, 8:00 pm CST and Wednesday 2/21, 2:30 am CST: The Magdalene Sisters. I heard this was good when it came out a year or two ago. Lots of stuff to watch this week, so I might or might not check it out.

HBO Signature, Tuesday 2/20, 11:55 pm CST: Tape, directed by Richard Linklater. I've been wanting to see this one since it came out, but I never had a chance. Now I can!

HBO Signature, Wednesday 2/21, 10:00 am CST: Mo' Better Blues, directed by Spike Lee. One of the Spike Lee movies I haven't seen. I've heard it's really good, with Denzel Washington as a blues musician. Cool.

TCM, Wednesday 2/21, 9:30 pm EST: That Touch of Mink, directed by Delbert Mann. Cary Grant and Doris Day. I haven't seen enough of this type of movie, so I might try to catch this one.

TCM, Thursday, 2/22, 10:45 am EST: Gold Diggers of 1935, directed by Busby Berkeley. I think this is one of the infamous pre-code movies that were extra racy. Busby Berkeley is awesome; I definitely have to check this one out.

TCM, Thursday, 2/22, 12:30 pm EST: Gold Diggers of 1937, directed by Lloyd Bacon. Hmm, this appears to be a follow-up/sequel. Don't know if I'll watch this one.

TCM, Friday 2/23, 10:30 am EST: It Happened One Night, directed by Frank Capra. I've always heard this is a great movie. Now's my chance to find out if it's true.

TCM, Friday, 2/23, 12:30 pm EST: You Can't Take It With You, directed by Frank Capra. Another Capra movie that I haven't seen. I can always watch Jimmy Stewart, especially in stuff like this.

TCM, Friday, 2/23, 11:00 pm EST: An American in Paris, directed by Vincente Minnelli. I've seen a few minutes of this, but that's all. It's supposed to be good, and I wouldn't mind watching more Gene Kelly musicals.

IFC, Friday 2/23, 11:00 pm CST and Saturday 2/24, 2:00 am CST: Karate Bull Fighter. More Sonny Chiba animal battles! I think this one is actually the first in the series, but it probably doesn't matter. I hope they follow up and show Karate For Life soon.

HBO Signature, Saturday 2/24, 3:40 am CST: What's Up, Doc?, directed by Peter Bogdanovich. Classic 70's movie. I might watch it.

TCM, Saturday, 2/24, 4:45 am EST: The Lost Weekend, directed by Billy Wilder. I also need to watch more Billy Wilder movies.

IFC, Saturday 2/24, 7:00 am CST: Samurai Rebellion, directed by Masaki Kobayashi. Toshiro Mifune! That's all I need to hear.

TCM, Saturday, 2/24, 6:30 am EST: On The Waterfront, directed by Elia Kazan. Another classic that I've never seen. Gotta catch up!

TCM, Saturday, 2/24, 1:00 pm EST: The Bridge on the River Kwai, directed by David Lean. Yet another classic that I need to see. I've actually seen parts of this, but never the whole thing. Alec Guiness!

TCM, Saturday, 2/24, 4:00 pm EST: Lawrence of Arabia, directed by David Lean. My shame continues. If I'm going to watch this one, I should do it on my big TV rather than Tivo it.

HBO Signature, Saturday 2/24, 5:45 pm CST: The Producers, directed by Susan Stroman. The recent movie adaptation of the stage musical. My wife wants to see this, so we'll probably watch it together.
-----

Wow, that's a lot of stuff. I really doubt I'll watch anything close to all of it. By the way, I expect to do this on Fridays or Saturdays, so watch for them if you're interested. Here's a question: I've been pointing out stuff that interests me, but would anyone be interested in me recommending stuff? I do see movies that I really liked on the schedule, but I don't mention them because I've already seen them. What does everybody (anybody?) think?

No comments:

Post a Comment