Tuesday, February 13, 2007

For these solicits, DC gets my valentine, not Marvel

New solicitations for May came out this week. Off we go:

Marvel:



Thunderbolts #114 - We'll see if I'm still reading this by the time this issue comes out (didn't I say that about last month's solicits?). Pretty good cover though, even if I'm not sure what's going on. Is Green Goblin attacking Bullseye? Are they both being exploded? Are they doing a Fastball Special? I dunno, but it looks exciting!



Ultimate Fantastic Four #42 - I've thought about buying this series, since I generally like what's been done with it, and I really dig Pasqual Ferry's art. Maybe I'll start with this issue, the beginning of a new storyline with Silver Surfer.



Ultimate Galactus HC - I read this series, but didn't buy it. It's pretty good, with some of Ellis's best Marvel work, in my opinion. I'll consider buying this, maybe.



X-Men: First Class Special - I haven't been reading the First Class miniseries, because although I like Jeff Parker (hi, Jeff!), I'm not really interested in stories of this nature (you know, like X-Men: The Hidden Years), and I don't care for Roger Cruz's art. However, this special contains art by Kevin Nowlan, Mike Allred, and Nick Dragotta, so I'm on board!



Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1 - I'll definitely check this one out; it's written by Matt Fraction, with art by Salvador Larroca. Stories about Mary Jane; I guess she's not dead yet! And it contains what the solicitation calls "Romita-esque flashback sequences". Should be interesting.



Silver Surfer Omnibus volume 1 HC - I've been wanting to pick up the Essential version of this, but the color version might be the way to go if I want to splurge. Classic Stan Lee stories, with art by John Buscema and Jack Kirby!



Spider-Man/Fantastic Four #2 - That's a pretty generic cover (I get it, Spidey joins the FF), but I'm still kind of excited about this series.



Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane #18 - I dunno what happens in this issue (I avoid reading solicitations for series that I know I want to buy), but that's an interesting cover. At first I thought it was showing that Mary Jane will become Firestar (which I wouldn't like), but then I realized that's Harry, not Peter, walking next to her. So maybe it's saying she'll get back together with Harry, and Spidey will date Firestar. Or maybe they'll all just be friends. Or maybe I'm turning into a teenage girl.



Spider-Man Newspaper Strips volume 1 HC - This is a pretty cool idea. I knew Stan Lee wrote the old strips, but I didn't know John Romita drew them. This collects strips from 1977-1980. Neat!



Iron Man: Hypervelocity #5 (of 6) - This is a great cover. The weird punk girl that's been haunting the Iron Man suit takes the form of all the Avengers. With some funny gags, like writing "France" in graffiti across Captain America's mask, or changing the text on Thor's hammer. This series is awesome.



Immortal Iron Fist #6 - Another issue of the cool series. I can't wait to read more. That's all I have to say.



Marvel Illustrated: Last of the Mohicans #1 - This is an interesting project; I'll consider picking it up.



Punisher War Journal #7 - I'm thinking I'll just pass on this series. I thought I might try to get into it after the Civil War tie-in, but it's looking less and less appealing to me. Change my mind, Punisher fans! Why should I get it?



Runaways #26 - Whedon's second issue, and he's already got the team meeting the Punisher! That should be fun. Nice cover, especially Molly's expression.



Blade #6 - I'm not interested in Blade, but that's a great cover. This Djurdjevic fellow is pretty good.



Criminal #6 - A new storyline. I didn't realize this comic was going to feature unconnected crime stories in each storyline. Unless I'm wrong, and they end up being connected.



Criminal: Coward TPB - This was a good storyline. Well, the first four issues were, at least. I'm pretty confident that Brubaker will deliver in the final issue. Check it out, if you haven't already.



The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #4 (of 7) - The first issue of this was pretty good; I never got around to writing a review, but I liked it well enough. Especially Jae Lee's art, which is on display on this cover. Check out all the baroque folds in that guy's robe. I'll probably end up getting this whole series.



Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears #4 (of 6) - I'm slightly interested in this, although not enough to pick up the first issue when it came out recently. I don't really care about Ghost Rider, but an Old West version of him might be interesting, if Ennis isn't just phoning it in. Did anybody read the first issue? Is it any good? Help me out here!

Solicited without a cover image:

Newuniversal #6 - I'm enjoying the series, but since I'm avoiding the solicit text, I don't have much to say in the absence of a cover.

Astonishing X-Men #21 - Man, I just got done saying that I liked how issues of this series seemed to be coming out more rapidly, and they go and have a three-month gap (from tomorrow until May) until the next issue. Damn.
-----

And that's it for Marvel. They don't have too much that I'm actually excited about, much less interested in. On the other hand, we have:

DC:



Batman #666 - Oh, man, I love this. Grant Morrison is awesome. Issue #666 has an alternate future where Batman's son Damien, as the new Batman, fights the devil. I guess. Should be fun!



Batman: Ego and Other Tails HC - A collection of Darwyn Cooke's Batman stories, including his "Ego" arc from Legends of the Dark Knight and his Catwoman: Selina's Big Score. Sweet. I haven't read any of that stuff. I might wait until this is released as a paperback to save some dough, but I'll probably end up getting it.



Batman: Turning Points TPB - I guess this was a miniseries or something. I don't know. I'm pretty much only interested due to the presence of Paul Pope as an artist. Also, nice cover by Tim Sale.



Catwoman: When in Rome TPB - Speaking of Tim Sale, that is one sexy cover. Mee-yow! Sorry. I probably won't get this, due to the presence of Jeph Loeb. It is cheap though, at $12.99.



JLA Classified #38 - Part 2 of Peter Milligan's "Kid Amazo" storyline. I'll decide if I want to buy it after I read reviews of part 1.



The Spirit #6 - I love that cover. Apparently the Spirit has a fight in the mosh pit at a punk show. Fun! Tons of great details in there, like the girls' ripped stockings and the dancing figures in the background. Go Cooke!



Re-Gifters - Another entry in the Minx line. I'll get this one due to the creative team of Mike Carey, Sonny Liew, and Marc Hempel, who did the cool Vertigo miniseries My Faith in Frankie.



Midnighter #7 - This one is the fill-in issue by Brian K. Vaughan and Darick Robertson. I don't know anything else about it, although he might be fighting Hydra, judging from the cover.



Ex Machina #28 - Part 3 of the "Power Down" storyline. I'm stoked to read the rest of it. Weird logo on the cover; I wonder if they'll change that.



Silverfish HC - I'm not sold on David Lapham; other than his short Matrix comic, I've never read anything that's grabbed me. But this seems interesting; it might be worth a consideration.



100 Bullets #84 - Kick-ass cover. Since I won't read it until I get the collection, I have nothing else to say.



Army@Love #3 - Man, I can't wait to read this series. I don't think the first issue comes out until next month. Freaky, subversive Rick Veitch shit. Should be cool.



Crossing Midnight #7 - Another freaky cover by J.H. Williams III. We'll see if I'm still reading the comic by then.



DMZ #19 - That is an awesome cover. I love this book. That's all.



Fables #61 - Another sweet James Jean cover. You've got Bufkin the flying monkey, and an apparent reference to the Hanged Knight, who I don't think we've seen since "Animal Farm". Cool. I'll be reading this when it's collected.



Fables: Sons of Empire TPB - Ooh, I can't wait to read this one. It's got the Mike Allred issues. And again, beautiful James Jean cover. I love the stylized Christmas ornaments.



Jack of Fables #11 - Ah, the conclusion of the "Jack Frost" story! And the cover (which, at the risk of sounding monotonous, is another beautiful effort from James Jean) links up with issue #6 (in fact, the picture here has #7 on it). I love the way in the last issue Jack (in captions) interrupted the story, saying he'd get back to it later, and anyway, they would fix it in the trade. That's funny.



Hellblazer #232 - I'm not really a fan of Hellblazer, but Andy Diggle is the writer on this issue (and the previous one), so I'm tempted to pick it up. I'll see if I can resist come April.



Testament #18 - From the cover, it looks like they're doing Jacob's Ladder. Art by Dean Ormston this issue. Where do I know him from? Oh well, I dig this book, blah blah blah, you know the drill.

The issue of Y: The Last Man that's solicited this month is the same one as last month, so I guess it's late. Come on, don't make me wait to get to the conclusion! I love this book.
-----

And I guess that's it for DC, also. Like I said, I'm much more interested in their offerings, although I'm mostly interested in Vertigo and Wildstorm. I expect Image's solicits will be out sometime this week, so I'll look at them then. Bye!
-----

By the way, Dark Horse also released their solicitations for May, but I didn't really see anything interesting on there, so I didn't mention them. Just in case anyone was wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment