Thursday, February 8, 2007

Value added

Hey, guess what I thought of? It's a:

New feature:

Tivo Alert!

I figured I would look at TV schedules on channels that I watch, and point out stuff that I'm interested in (and thus others should also be interested in, of course). I'll mostly be looking at Independent Film Channel (IFC) and Turner Classic Movies (TCM). And maybe HBO. Oh, and I don't actually have TiVo; I'm stuck with a generic Dish Network DVR. But I think the word "Tivo" has entered the cultural lexicon, so I'm using it as a catch-all for "record and watch later". Anyway, the inaugural programs are:

IFC, Friday, 2/9, at 6:00 am and 6:35 pm CST: Everyone Says I Love You, directed by Woody Allen. His late-90's musical, starring Edward Norton, Drew Barrymore, Julia Roberts, and others. I'm a little wary of this one, but my friend who loves Woody Allen says it's good. Of course, I have to take that with a grain of salt...

TCM, Saturday, 2/10, at 2:15 am EST: Nashville, directed by Robert Altman. I've been wanting to see this one for quite a while.

IFC, Saturday, 2/10, at 7:00 am CST: Samurai Spy, directed by Masahiro Shinoda. Classic samurai movie. IFC usually shows stuff like this on Saturday mornings.

TCM, Saturday, 2/10, at 10:30 pm EST: Batman Returns, directed by Tim Burton. For some reason, I've never seen this.

TCM, Sunday, 2/11, at 5:30 9m EST: They Were Expendable, directed by John Ford. John Wayne, WWII. I've heard it's good.

TCM, Monday, 2/12, at 3:45 am EST: Foreign Correspondent, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. One of the Hitchcock movies I haven't seen.

TCM, Monday, 2/12, at 1:00 pm EST: The Magnificent Ambersons, directed by Orson Welles. I haven't seen this one either. Isn't this Welles' "lost" film? I don't know that much about it; I'll have to watch it and see.

TCM, Tuesday, 2/14, at 4:15 am EST: Shampoo, directed by Hal Ashby. Never seen this, but it's one of those infamouse 70's movies. And I love Harold and Maude, which Ashby also directed.

TCM, Thursday, 2/15, at 8:00 9m EST: Coal Miner's Daughter, directed by Michael Apted. Never seen this one either.

IFC, Friday, 2/16, at 11:00 pm and Saturday, 2/17 at 2:10 am EST: Karate Bear Fighter. Sonny Chiba! Fighting a bear (bears?)! With karate! Awesome!

TCM, Saturday, 2/17, at 12:15 am EST: Logan's Run, directed by Michael Anderson. Classic sci-fi that I've never seen. I've actually heard it's pretty bad.

IFC, Saturday, 2/17, at 7:00 am CST: Samurai Saga, directed by Hiroshi Inagaki. An adaptation of Cyrano de Bergerac, starring Toshiro Mifune! I'll definitely be checking this one out.

TCM, Saturday, 2/17, at 8:00 pm EST: Tommy, directed by Ken Russell. The Who! Never seen this one either. Maybe I'll get my wife to watch it with me (she loves music).
-----

Wow, that's more than I expected. It's "Oscar Month" on TCM, so they're playing a lot of movies that I'm interested in (or at least more than usual). I doubt I'll watch everything here, but it's stuff to look out for. Stay tuned for future alerts!

3 comments:

  1. Logan's Run is really bad. It would definitely profit from a remake because it has an excellent premise but fails in every aspect of the execution -- serious plot holes, weak script, wooden acting, tacky production values. And yet a couple of the performances are significantly better than the rest, as if they'd stepped out of a better film, and the whole thing has a perverse charm that makes it worth watching at least once as a historical document.

    Tommy used to be fashionable for hardcore Who fans to hate because it has folks like Oliver Reed and Jack Nicholson (!!!!) singing...but speaking as the hardest of hardcore Who fans, this is one of my favorite films! I recommend watching it a dozen times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rab! I appreciate the input. And congratulations on your blogiversary, by the way! I don't know why I haven't added you to my blogroll yet. I'll go remedy that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favor returned, sir. And I never pass up a chance to rave about Tommy...

    ReplyDelete