Monday, March 24, 2008

This week: ASS! In the Grant Morrison sense

Ah, maybe I should get to the posts I need to do here soon. But I've also got this:

New comics this week (Wednesday, 3/26/08):

All Star Superman #10

Ah, the occasional dose of elegant superheroics. This book is now quarterly or something, I guess, but it's good to get it when it shows up. Only a few more issues to go, I think. Make it good, guys!

Dan Dare #5

Ah, Garth Ennis keeps up the stoic British sci-fi. I liked the last issue quite a bit, and it really seemed to play to artist Gary Erskine's strengths. Let's see if we'll get to see some black hole-shooting now.

Jack of Fables #21

Crap, what was happening last issue? I know Jack was escaping with the gold, or something. Maybe it's almost time for me to switch to trades...I still dig it though. Go Jack!

Smuggling Spirits Book One

I reviewed an electronic copy of this book from Ambrosia Publishing back in September, and thought it was pretty good. It's about a sort of ghost-haunted 1930s, with some nice artwork and an interesting story. Looks like it's finally available in the direct market, but you can still read it online here, or order a copy from the company. Check it out!

Speak of the Devil #5

Man, when is this series going to end (and get collected) so I can finally read it? Also, I notice that Gilbert Hernandez has another of his "B-movie comics" coming out in June called The Troublemakers. I dug Chance in Hell, so I'm all over that one.

Spirit #15

Well, looks like I'm done with this series. I dug Darwyn Cooke's tenure on the book, but it took Sergio Aragones and Mark Evanier one issue to drive me away, with a boring, pointless, stretched-out story that confirmed everyone's fears about the appropriateness of continuing to tell stories featuring Will Eisner's signature creation. Maybe they'll improve, but I'm not spending the money to wait for them.

Transhuman #1

Another Jonathan Hickman series (although he's only writing this one, with JM Ringuet providing the art), about superhuman genetic engineering, told in a "mockumentary" style. I'm not sure what that means in the context of comic books, but I dig Hickman, so I'll be reading it. It would be nice if he could get Pax Romana out on a regular schedule though. And I'm still waiting for Red Mass for Mars to show up...

Wolverine First Class #1

I don't really bother with these sorts of books (even though I do like Jeff Parker, writer of the similar X-Men: First Class), but this one is notable because Fred Van Lente (Action Philosophers, the awesome new Comic Book Comics) is writing it. I don't know if there's a need for untold tales of Wolverine and Kitty Pride, but if it's your sort of thing, it'll probably be a decent read. How's that for a recommendation?

Apocalypse Nerd TPB

Peter Bagge's tale of post-apocaptalyptic geekery gets collected. I've heard it's...interesting, but also that it's sort of a showcase for his libertarian views. I dunno, might be interesting, and he's usually pretty damn entertaining. Maybe I'll read it someday.

Flight Explorer Vol. 1

A kid-oriented spinoff of the popular Flight anthology series, featuring Kean Soo's Jellaby and Kazu Kibuishi's Daisy Kutter, among others. It's $10, so it sounds like a good deal; I'll have to check it out if I see it.

Ghost Rider Trail of Tears

I collected this series for some reason (probably Garth Ennis), even though I don't like Ghost Rider, and it was pretty disappointing. It might have been Clayton Crain's artwork, which is weirdly goopy and computerized. So, yeah, not recommended.

Haunted HC

From Drawn & Quarterly, a collection of stuff by French cartoonist Phillipe Dupuy. I haven't read any of his stuff before (he usually works with Charles Berberian), but I always hear good things, so this will probably be a good one to watch for.

Jack Kirbys Fourth World Omnibus HC Vol. 4

Oh, man, I'm still reading the second volume, but I really want to get to this one. I collects the end of the various Fourth World series, the sequel miniseries Kirby did in the 80s, and the Hunger Dogs graphic novel, which I think was originally meant to be a conclusion to the saga, but it obviously wasn't. I can't wait to get to it.

Last Winter

A graphic novel from Image adapting director Larry Fessenden's film of the same name. It's an eco-horror story about a scientific base in the arctic. I dunno, might be worth a look.

Mouse Guard Fall 1152 TPB

I dig the Mouse Guard, and this is a cheaper paperback collection of the series, so if you haven't read it before now, I urge you to check it out. Mice with swords!

Newuniversal Everything Went White

Collecting Warren Ellis' and Salvador Larroca's miniseries (although I think it was supposed to be ongoing when it started) revival of the 80s Marvel "realistic superheroes" spinoff. I enjoyed it (even with the rampant celebrity "casting") due to Ellis' sci-fi ideas. I don't know if I'll keep going with the new miniseries that's coming out, but this is definitely an interesting start.

Paul Goes Fishing GN

Another Drawn & Quarterly book, a slice-of-life story from Michael Rabagliati. I haven't read any of his other books, but I always hear good things, so this looks like another one to look for at some point.

Stardust Kid Vol. 1

Boom! puts out a collection of J.M. DeMatteis and Mike Ploog's kid-fantasy miniseries. I've heard it (along with their series Abadazad) is pretty good. Yet another one to maybe read someday.

That Salty Air

Another of those slice-of-life graphic novels, this time from Top Shelf. It's about a fisherman trying to take revenge on the sea. By Tim Sievert, 110 pages, 10 bucks. I should try to get it.

MPD-PSYCHO Vol 4 TP

I'm actually caught up on this series, although I never got around to reviewing the second or third volumes. It's an enjoyable series, so I'm sure I'll get to this volume when I get the chance. Hey, gore, murder, and psychiatric disorders are always fun.
-----

And I think that's it for the week. Hopefully I'll get to some real posts here soon. And maybe a look at solicitations, but I might stop doing that, so maybe not. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment