Monday, November 19, 2007

This week, I'm thankful for comics. Just like every week.

Hey, there was no content for a few days there, because I was out of town. I hope nobody missed me too much (but I hope I was missed a little, at least...). I got a lot of reading done though, so expect plenty of reviews and whatnot soon, although it is a holiday week, so I might delay it even more. Jeez. But let's look at what's coming out this week anyway:

But first, in case anyone missed it, I'll point to my review of Andy Hartzell's Fox Bunny Funny over at IndiePulp. It's an excellent book.

Okay, on with the show:

New comics this week (Wednesday, 11/21/07):

Spirit #11

Wow, this is just about the only mainline Marvel or DC title I'm interested in this week (unless you count the next item). It's Darwyn Cooke's penultimate issue, finishing the El Morte story that's been running in the background of most of his run. I've enjoyed his stuff on this book immensely, so I hope he goes out on a good note.

Franklin Richards Fall Football Fiasco

I usually enjoy these Franklin Richards comics, but I'm starting to think they might not be worth the money I spend on them. They're cute and all, but there's just not much there. I suppose I'll get this one if it's in my pull box, but I'll have to take it off my list. Still, they're pretty good, so don't take my rejection as a condemnation or anything.

Programme #5

More warmed-up Cold War superheroics. Will there ever be fighting in this series? We'll see!

Boys #12

And here we have Russian superheroes of a different sort. Last issue saw a nasty pizza delivery; what sort of horrors will Garth Ennis give us this time?

Drafted #3

I reviewed the first two issues of this series for Silver Bullet Comics, and while I don't really recommend it, it's got potential to get better. I probably won't buy it, but I wouldn't pass up another free review copy.

Godland #20

I switched to trades on this series, and just in time, it seems. Since I dropped the monthly series, I think only two issues have come out in something like six months. Ouch. Hopefully Joe Casey and Tom Scioli will get back on track, because I want to find out what happens!

Groo Hell on Earth #2

I didn't review the first issue of this miniseries, but it was pretty good. I hope Evanier and Aragones can keep up the good old Groo formula (Of course they can! They've been doing it for 25 years now).

Hawaiian Dick Screaming Black Thunder #1

There seems to be a lot of stuff coming out this week, so I don't know if I'll give this new monthly a try or not. I might wait for a collection, especially since past iterations have been notoriously late. Then I can also try to get caught up on those previous collections and know what the hell is going on.

Left on Mission #5

This is the last issue of Chip Mosher and Francesco Francavilla's spy book. I didn't review the last issue, but I'll try to take a look at it and this issue together. It's a good series; I recommend reading the eventual collection if you missed it (or gave up due to its lateness).

Rex Libris #9

Everybody's favorite kickass librarian is back! This book seems to come out pretty sporadically, but it's nice to see when it shows up.

Umbrella Academy Apocalypse Suite #3

More awesomeness! This issue promises a robot carnival battle, although I expect the creators will throw in a few twists. Good times.

Flink GN

The new Doug TenNapel book (only a few months after his last book, Black Cherry, which I still have yet to read, dammit), about a boy making friends with a Sasquatch, I think. It's a big week, so I don't know if I'll get it or not.

Goon Chinatown HC

Ooh, this is the big release of the week for me. Eric Powell's long-awaited graphic novel about the Goon's past, which almost surely involves monsters and violence. I can't wait.

Reptilia SC

I don't know if this is actually coming out this week, but I'm getting it if it does. It's a one-volume horror manga from Kazuo Umezu (Drifting Classroom). I've been excited to read it ever since I heard about it; I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Beyond Palomar TP
Perla La Loca TP

Two more books that might or might not be appearing this week but which I will snap up and devour as soon as possible. They're the third volumes of the Hernandez Brothers' Love and Rockets collections, and they collect most of what's left in the first volume of the series (another "miscellaneous" volume will be forthcoming, I believe). I am almost salivating for these books.

Jack Kirby’s 4th World Omnibus vol. 3 HC

Here's another one I will need to get, but I can wait, since I still have yet to acquire the second volume. I should get right on that.

Madman vol. 2

And finally, a new collection of Madman comics, containing issues #1-11 of the Dark Horse series. There are some really great comics in here, including the first appearance of the Mutant Street Beatniks (who would later become The Atomics) and Frank Miller and Geof Darrow's Big Guy. Excellent stuff; Mike Allred is awesome.
-----

And that looks like everything. I think solicitations also come out this week, so I'll probably look at those sometime. So, expect lots of content, unless I get too busy with the holidays. Take it easy!

2 comments:

  1. Ouch. Glad you mentioned the Umezu which had totally slipped by me. The Ashley Wood cover didn´t really help making it stand out as IDW´s first manga offering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm glad I got it. It's in the normal manga digest size, so other than the Ashley Wood cover, it will hopefully be recognizable as manga. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete