Monday, December 31, 2007

This week, a new year of comics starts (on Friday again?! #@&*!)

That's right, new comics come out on Friday again, for some ridiculous reason. Eh, whatever, it's not like I'm running out of stuff to read anytime soon. Anyway, happy new annual arbitrary date, everyone! Maybe I'll have a top ten list (which will probably have much more than ten items on it) up soon. Anyway, here's the new stuff:

New comics this week (Friday, 1/4/08):

Atomic Robo #1 (2nd Print)

I need to write something about this series, because I've been loving it. If you missed it the first time around, I implore you to check this out!

Black Diamond #6

I've read one issue of this series (#5, I think, because AIT sent it to me), but it was kind of hard to follow in the middle of the story. It does seem quite interesting, so I'm looking forward to reading the whole thing when it's collected.

Doktor Sleepless #4

Warren Ellis book number one this week, with more weird sci-fi shenanigans. I'm enjoying the book, but I still hope that it gets better.

End League #1

I wouldn't normally point this one out (another superhero book, yawn), but I reviewed it the other day, so it lets me link to myself. It's not terrible, but not good enough to really hold my interest. It might get better though.

Gravel #0

Here's Warren Ellis book number two, a new ongoing series about the "combat magician" from the Strange Kiss/Strange Killings series of miniseries. I've read some, but not all, of those, and they're decent enough. I'll definitely give this one a try to see if I want to follow it. On the plus side, Mike Wolfer, whose art was the weakest part of the previous minis (in my opinion), is not doing the art; instead Crecy's Raulo Caceres is illustrating, and he's pretty good.

Lucha Libre #3

Belgian-illustrated Mexican wrestlers getting into trouble. It took me a couple issues to get into it, but I've started to dig the weird vibes of this book. Looks like I'm on board for the long haul.

Northlanders #2

Brian Wood. Vikings. I liked the first issue. Keep it up, fellas!

Ultimate Human #1

And then there's Warren Ellis book number three, in which Ultimate Iron Man fights Ultimate Hulk for the fate of Ultimate Humanity, or something. I'm kind of soured on Marvel superheroics (Ultimate or otherwise), so I don't know if I'll bother with this one, but I'll consider it; I did like the Ultimate Galactus books that Ellis did, and Cary Nord's art looks really nice. We'll see.

JLA Kid Amazo

Peter Milligan's JLA Classified story. I heard it wasn't all that great, so I probably won't be getting it. But it's worth pointing out, I guess.

Powers vol. 11

I was wrong about the previous volume that came out a month or two ago; this is the one that collects up through where I stopped getting the monthly series. So now I might finally be able to start looking forward to the next one. When I stopped buying it, I wondered if it would completely drop off my radar. That hasn't quite happened, but it's not like I'm emailing Brian Michael Bendis to hurry up and put out more issues or anything. I'll probably get it when it comes out, but I'm not getting impatient like I do with 100 Bullets or Fables.

Pride of Baghdad SC

One of the better books of 2006 comes out in an affordable format. I recommend it, although you should probably skip it if Brian K. Vaughan's writing style bothers you. Beautiful art by Niko Henrichon though.

Aria Vol 1 GN Tokyopop Edition

I keep hearing that this series is really good, so I guess this is my chance to get on board. And then get behind, like always.

Sgt Frog Vol 14 GN

What, is this series coming out annually now? I stopped reading after volume 12, and only two more volumes have shown up since then? Damn, maybe I should just start up again; it's not like it's going to break the bank or anything.

NANA Vol 8 TP

Holy crap, it's the new volume of Nana! Now this is the book of the week; I'm going to have to frantically search bookstores to find it. You can check out posts in this link if you want to learn more about my Nana obsession. Crap, this is going to keep me up nights.

Reborn Vol 6 GN

I should try this series out sometime; it sounds enjoyable ridiculous, being about the adventures of a toddler hitman. As Chris Butcher would say, Japan.

Sand Chronicles Vol 1 GN

Finally, we have another excellent manga release. If you've been reading my Shojo Beat posts (see the link in the Nana entry above), you know I've been loving this series, so I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone looking for good shojo drama (lightened with comedy). Please, check it out.
-----

Okay, that's it for the week. I'm off to search the Borders website and see if that volume of Nana is in stores yet. Wow, I'm such a fangirl. I don't know if I'll have any other posts tonight, what with the partying and all (if playing Rock Band with my nephews counts), but maybe I'll do something tomorrow. Happy annual drunkenness!

1 comment:

  1. In this week, New comic session will start. I am anxious for this session.
    Click here https://samedaygaragedoorservicesga.com/ for getting the benefits of Garage Door Companies service at any place and on any time.

    ReplyDelete