Monday, December 10, 2007

Not a huge week, but Archaia sure has my attention

Okay, last chance for the contest, unless entries start pouring in tonight and I decide to extend the deadline. That was kind of a bust; I guess I need Mike Sterling-level readership to get a real response. Anyway:

New comics this week (Wednesday, 12/12/07):

Bat Lash #1

I'm not usually one for cowboy books, but this one is (co?)written by Sergio Aragones and drawn by John Severin. It could be quite good; I'll have to decide whether to get it or not at the store.

Boys #13

The Russia story continues, hopefully with more stupid controversies. I always enjoy those. The book keeps plugging along, and I keep finding it difficult to drop. Looks like I'm in for the long haul.

Cory Doctorow’s Futuristic Tales Here & Now #3

This issue adapts "Craphound", a pretty good story, and the art looks beautiful. I haven't bought either of the previous issues, but I'm definitely getting this one.

Engineer #1

One of several interesting-looking books coming out from Archaia Studios Press this week. It's about a guy with a cosmic pipe organ fighting some universe-threatening menace. Seems like it could be cool, in a wild Jack Kirby-style way. Here's a preview.

Hunter #1

Another indie book, from publisher Dare Pictures, whom I've never heard of before. It's about a terrorist-fighting superpowered CIA agent, or something. Could be worth a look. Here's the official site, with a link to some preview pages.

Hybrid Bastards #1

Another weird-sounding book from Archaia; this one is about a bunch of children that Zeus had with inanimate objects who are trying to make the god recognize them as his kids. Or something. It could be goofy and fun. Here, have a preview.

Misericordia #1

Archaia book number three for the week; this is some sort of post-apocalyptic future tale, with interesting stylized art that reminds me of Robert Nazeby Herzig's work on the book Angel Skin. You'll probably want to look at the preview.

Pirates of Coney Island #6

Holy smokes, it's been a while since the last issue of this book. Rick Spears must have been busy Black Metal-ing (Or Repo-ing), and Vasilis Lolos was busy being awesome. I only barely remember what was going on, but I bet I'll enjoy it.

Potter’s Field #3

I've read a review PDF of this issue, so maybe I'll so a review today or tomorrow. As an end to the miniseries, it's okay, and worth getting if you've been following it, but I found it somewhat disappointing. I'm more interested in the forthcoming sequel miniseries.

Spider-Man Family #6

This issue: frog Thor! I guess. Weird. I don't know if I'll get it, since I've been less interested in fun superhero books (I'm so serious!), but it looks like it could be enjoyable.

Wormwood One Shot

I keep confusing this one with the next entry. This one is Ben Templesmith's weird monster series, not Garth Ennis' antichrist series. I don't know if I'll get this or not; I still need to pick up the trade of the first Wormwood miniseries.

Chronicles of Wormwood Last Enemy

And here's the Ennis son of Satan thing. It's a one-shot follow-up to the recent miniseries, and I'm sure it will be fun, even if Jacen Burrows isn't illustrating it.

Criminal vol. 2 Lawless

I've been talking this up, and it's an excellent series. Check it out if you haven't. Good crime comics, nice non-zombie Sean Phillips art. Really, read it.

Acme Novelty Datebook vol. 2 HC

I haven't read the first volume of this Chris Ware sketchbook series (that's what it is, right?). But I would probably find this hard to pass up if I saw it in a store. Such is the pull of Chris Ware on my wallet.

Art of P. Craig Russell HC

Luckily, while I like P. Craig Russell's art, he doesn't hold quite as much sway over my subconscious, so I probably won't be getting this. I bet it will be pretty though.

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service vol. 5

Manga series: I'm constantly behind.

Andromeda Stories Vol 2 GN

I haven't even read the first volume of this one.

Guin Saga Manga Vol 1 Seven Magi TP

I don't know if this will be worth getting, but it's from Vertical, so that makes it notable in my book. I could check it out if I ever see it anywhere.

Wild Ones Vol 1 TP

This is the Yakuza-based shojo series that was previewed in a recent issue of Shojo Beat. I've seen it in bookstores already, but I guess this is its direct market debut. I suppose I could read it, but I've got so many other manga series to catch up on, I doubt I'll get to it anytime soon.
-----

And that's the week, unless something else sneaks onto a list when I'm not paying attention. Hopefully, I'll have something up tonight. But don't hold your breath. I don't know why you would do that anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment