Monday, December 3, 2007

This week is getting closer to Christmas and I don't have any decorations or tree installed

Man, I suck. Sorry, wife. Anyway, it's time for the look at what's coming out, but first I'll point out some reviews over at SBC: Madman Atomic Comics #5 and Doc Frankenstein #6. And, like a Tourette's sufferer, I can't do a post these days without reminding people about my contest. I've still only got one entry, so please, somebody, scribble a header image and send it to me just so I feel like there's somebody out there paying attention. Okay, on with the show:

New comics this week (Wednesday, 12/5/07):

Atomic Robo #3

Judging by the one issue I've read (#2), this series is tons of fun. Keep up the good work, guys!

Black Summer #4

More Warren Ellis superheroes fighting the government and whatnot. As it heads into its second half, will the series get better (not that it's bad, but it hasn't blown me away or anything)? I hope so! I just want to figure out if Tom Noir is dead or not, and what he was up to last issue.

Brawl #2

I really dug the first issue of this "double feature" book from Dean Haspiel and Michel Fiffe. So, more of those stories means more good comics, I hope.

Infinite Horizon #1

I'm not sure if I'll get this or not, but it does interest me. It's a modern-day interpretation of The Odyssey, written by Gerry Duggan with art by Phil Noto. It'll look nice, at the very least.

Northlanders #1

Brian Wood's Viking comic finally debuts! I'll get the first issue, and even if I'm not especially impressed, I'll probably still give it a few more, just because I trust Wood to tell a good story. I've read a couple reviews here and there, and it seems interesting if not amazing. But so did DMZ at first, and it quickly grew into something really good. So I've got high hopes. I just hope they don't get squashed.

Resurrection #1

A new post-apocalyptic series from Oni Press, written by Marc Guggenheim with art by David Dumeer. I reviewed the first issue back in September.

Suburban Glamour #2

I never saw the first issue of this book in my local shop, but I hear it was pretty good. I'll probably end up getting the trade, if I decide to read it.

Zombies vs. Robots vs. Amazons #1

Ah, the long-teased Ashley Wood comic is finally out! If it's anything like the Zombies vs. Robots series that this is a sequel to(here, have some reviews of that series), it'll be pretty lightweight, but enjoyable, mostly due to Wood's awesome artwork.

Kabuki #9 Allred Cover

I don't read this series (although I should give it a try, since I like David Mack), but I never pass up the chance to point out some Mike Allred artwork. You can see his cover here.

Claws Come Out HC

A horror/comedy graphic novel from "indie cartoonist" Pat Lewis, about badass girls fighting zombies, vampires, aliens, and other monsters. It looks like it could be fun, but it's a bit pricey at $19.99 for a black and white hardcover. I might consider it if I see it, but I'll probably wait and see if I read any good reviews and/or get a decent discount somewhere. Here's some information from IDW's site.

Madman & the Atomics vol. 1

I think this trade collects most, if not all, of the run of The Atomics, Mike Allred's Madman spin-off book. It's some good stuff; I recommend it if you haven't read it before.

Owly vol. 4

I'm not really into Owly, but my wife loves him, so we'll probably end up getting this. Don't expect a review anytime soon though; I've never been able to finish reading any of the previous volumes. They seem nice enough, but they're so damn sweet and innocent, I can't go more than a few pages without wanting to read something with ultraviolence.

Popeye vol. 2 HC

I'm still slowly making my way through the first volume of Popeye reprints, and it's great stuff. So I'll probably end up getting this someday, but probably not anytime soon.

Punisher War Journal vol. 2 HC

I keep wondering if I should try reading this series. I do like Matt Fraction, but I just can't get into the Punisher (unless he's written by Garth Ennis). I've read mixed reviews, but it does seem like it could be fun. I might try to get the first volume if I can get a decent discount, and then I'll see if I feel like continuing.

Warren Ellis Black Gas

This zombie series isn't terrible, but I thought it lost steam near the end. Maybe Ellis should have stuck to the first miniseries and not bothered with a follow-up. So, yeah, I don't really recommend it, and especially not for $20.

Wet Moon vol. 3

I keep meaning to try out this graphic novel series by Ross Campbell, but I haven't been able to track down the first volume. We'll see if I ever manage to get to it.

Wonton Soup

And finally, we have a goofy "space trucker cooking opera" from Oni Press. I received a review copy of this one, and it's quite good. Review coming soon (maybe even tonight!). In the meantime, check out the preview on Oni's site.
-----

And that looks like everything for the week, I think. I hope to have a review up tonight, but we'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy Punisher War Journal, but the main story contained in volume 2 isn't the place to start. The opening issues and the string of issues that follow the Frank honoring Cap v Hate-Monger are quite good - it's probably my least favorite Fraction title; but Casanova, Iron Fist and The Order are some of my overall favorites right now, so that's still saying something. Check out the first volume or start picking up the singles (I'm pretty sure that a new arc starts soon as the last ish was an excellent WWH tie-in).

    ReplyDelete