Monday, October 15, 2007

The comics, they keep being published

Before I get into what's coming out this week (which I don't think is very much anyway), I'll mention that I'm going to be going to this event with Rutu Modan, the author of Exit Wounds, in Chicago tomorrow, so anyone reading this that will be there, let me know and I'll try to say hi. I'm hoping one or more of the IndiePulp guys will be there, at least.

Oh, and I also have a review of Runaways #28 up at SBC, and a repost of my Narcoleptic Sunday review at the aforementioned IndiePulp. Enjoy!

So, on to:

New comics this week (Wednesday, 10/17/07):

Army @ Love #8
DMZ #24
Fables #66
Ex Machina #31

Four Vertigo/Wildstorm series that I'm waiting for the trade on. I hope that doesn't mean any of them get canceled due to low sales of the monthly issues...

The Programme #4

I'm reading this one monthly though, just because I don't know when or if it will ever get collected. It's been pretty good so far; Peter Milligan is awesome when he's not phoning it in.

The 99 #1

I don't plan to get this, but it's worth pointing out. It's a new superhero series with Muslim characters. I'll probably read a review or two, if I see any. Here's the official site.

Abyss #1

Another book from Red 5. I never did find any copies of Atomic Robo, so I'm probably going to have to special order the first issue. This one is a comedy of sorts about an heir to a supervillain's legacy. Looks nice, especially the cover, with its logo that evokes Action Comics and an image that homages the famous "Death of Superman" cover. Again, I'll probably get it if I see it, but I bet I'll have to special order it (and I'll only do that if I read good reviews). Anyway, here's the page on Red 5's site.

The Boys #11

I didn't drop this series, so it looks like I'll be on board at least through this next arc, unless Ennis does something to completely drive me away. It's kind of on the fence, not quite good enough that I feel like I should keep buying it every month, but just good enough to keep me from dropping it. Damn you, Ennis, for keeping me intrigued!

Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales Then and Now #1

I should probably just add this series to my pull list. I've read most (if not all) of the original stories, so I had thought I might or might not get certain issues, depending on whether I liked the art. But I expect I won't be able to pass them up, especially after writer Dara Naraghi dropped by in the comments here with some links to art samples (hear that, creators? Commenting here is a good way to get me to buy your comic!).

Suburban Glamour #1

I'll probably wait for the trade on Jamie McKelvie's new miniseries (dammit, I still need to pick up Phonogram!), but it certainly looks nice, so I recommend checking it out if you see it.

Umbrella Academy Apocalypse Suite #2

I really dug the first issue of this series (although I never reviewed it, for some reason), so I'm sure the second will also be good. Don't let me down, Mr. punk-rocker-turned-Morrison/Fraction-wannabe! (and Gabriel Ba, too!)

Wonderland #5

I'm not especially interested in Disney comics, but this one has some lovely Sonny Liew artwork, so I would consider getting a collection of some sort.

Zig Zag #2

I'm not familiar with this book, but one of my IndiePulp cohorts recommended it, so I'll check it out if I see it.

Army @ Love vol. 1

Did I mention I like this series? Rick Veitch is awesome, so if you like his comics (or if you like funny satire of current events), I encourage you to check this out.

Gear School

A manga-esque graphic novel from Dark Horse, with giant robot alien wars, or something like that. It looks nice, as judging by the preview on the book's site. It seems like a pretty good package: 96 full-color pages for $7.95. Kid-appropriate and everything.

Eduardo Risso's Tales of Terror

I love me some Eduardo Risso (100 Bullets), so it's cool to see some of his Argentinian (or is it Spanish?) comics get imported. I'll probably get it at some point, if not right away.

Shazam Monster Society of Evil HC

One of the best books so far this year gets collected into a really nice-looking hardcover. A little pricey ($29.99), but probably worth it. The unpopular-in-indie-circles Jeff Smith (sorry, inside joke) delivered a super-fun story, and I highly recommend it.

Awesome Indie Spinner Rack Anthology Vol 1 TP

This looks like a, well, awesome anthology that's "presented by" the "Indie Spinner Rack" podcast and Evil Twin Comics, the self-publishing company of Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunlavey (Action Philosophers). It's got quite the list of contributors: Al Columbia, Renee French, Nick Bertozzi, Bernie Mireault, Kazimir Strzepek, Matt Kindt, Roger Langridge, Sam Hiti, and many others, including "the debut episode of the next Evil Twin Comics series Comic Book Comics by Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunlavey". I will definitely pick this one up if I see it. Here's the book's page, with a preview.

Whiteout Vol 2 Melt TP Definitive Edition

I enjoyed the first volume of Whiteout, so I'll probably try to get this one as well.

Bookhunter GN

This looks interesting. It's based on a true story about a book being stolen from the Oakland Public Library in 1973, following the detectives who are trying to track it down. But it looks pretty fictionalized, adding lots of cartoony action to the story. You can check out a preview at the book's site.

Drifting Classroom Vol 8 TP

I'm still behind on this. Someday I'll catch up. Someday...

Naoki Urasawas Monster Vol 11 TP

Ditto. I'm still trying to get to volume 3...

Fall In Love Like A Comic Vol 1 TP

A shojo series that I wouldn't normally bother mentioning, but I wrote a review of it that should be up on MangaLife sometime soon. I also talked about the preview chapter that was published in Shojo Beat a few months ago...

Shojo Beat Vol 3 #11 Nov 07

And finally, the latest issue of my manga anthology of choice (between two options, really, but maybe those will expand someday...). I already received this issue, and I'm reading it now, so expect a review soon. I will say one thing: yakuza/gangster stories don't seem like an obvious choice for a shojo series, and this issue kind of supports that theory.
-----

And that's all for this week, I think. Maybe there's more there than I thought there would be. I might have more reviews up soon, and I should get to solicitations sometime, so keep an eye out for content. I'll stop the slacking off, really!

No comments:

Post a Comment