Monday, October 29, 2007

This week I'm going to be jonesing for my Umezu fix

I thought IDW's publication of Kazuo Umezu's Reptilia was supposed to come out this week, but it's not on any of the schedules. Rats. But here's what is going to show (the stuff I'm interested in, anyway):

New comics this week (Wednesday, 10/31/07):

Biff Bam Pow #1

A new ongoing(?) series from Evan Dorkin and Sarah Dyer, involving interstellar boxing, or something like that. Looks like fun.

Bonds #2

I got a review copy of the first issue of this series, and it was interesting. I never wrote anything about it for some reason. Maybe if I get this second issue I'll think of something to say.

Black Summer Alpha

Wait, wasn't this in Avatar's solicitations for January? Weird. Anyway, it's a combination of the #0 and #1 issues, if you missed out.

Jack of Fables #16

In which Jack tries to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. I think. This is a really fun book, and I just can't bear to drop it and wait for the trade.

Mouse Guard Winter 1152 #2

Ooh, cool. The first issue of this second miniseries was nice-looking, and I'm always interested to see where this is going.

Special Forces #1

Awesome! This is probably going to be my highlight of the week; I love Kyle Baker. This is his Iraq satire, about a mentally disabled guy joining the army. I can't wait to read it.

Big Questions #10

You know, I don't think I actually own any of Anders Nilsen's comics, even though I really like his art style. I plan to get Dogs and Water sometime soon, but I should try to check this out too.

Immortal Iron Fist vol. 1

If you missed out on the beginning of this awesome series and didn't want to spend $20 on the hardcover, here's the paperback version for only $14.99. Sweet.

Crimeland GN

A gangster-type graphic novel from Image, written by Felipe Ferriera and Ivan Brandon, with art by Rafael Albuquerque. Might be worth a look.

Perry Bible Fellowship Trial of Colonel Sweeto HC

Also sweet: this collection of Nicholas Gurewitch's hilarious webcomic. This is probably the funniest comic strip currently being produced; Gurewitch has such a bizarre sense of humor, and he plays with expectations and shared stories so well. If you haven't read the online strip, I recommend checking this out. Hell, I've probably read all the strips it collects, and I don't think I'll be able to pass it up.

Secret TPB

A graphic novel written by Dark Horse publisher Mike Richardson, with art by Jason Shawn Alexander. Seems to be a teen horror/thriller story. Might be worth checking out.

Paris TPB

This is an excellent story by Andi Watson and Simon Gane. I read the original miniseries, which my wife picked out on a trip to the store. It's good comics.

Slow News Day TPB

And here's another Andi Watson comic, for those who want to get caught up on his stuff. Like me; I've never read it.

Southern Cross

This looks really interesting; it's a reprint of a wordless woodcut graphic novel from 1954 about the U.S. atomic bomb testing in the southern Pacific. You can see a preview at the book's page on Drawn & Quarterly's site.

Complete Persepolis TP

A combination of the two parts of the amazing series, probably released as a tie-in to the animated movie version of the story. I've only read the first part, and I don't own it, so I should probably pick this up sometime.

Uno Tarino The Latest Art Of Ashley Wood SC

I would probably check this out if I could afford to buy art books by all my favorite artists. But I'm not made of money.

Translucent vol. 2

This manga series looks interesting, but I still haven't picked up the first volume. I've read some good reviews, so it looks like it will be worth getting at some point.

Parasyte Vol 2 GN

I enjoyed the first volume, so I'll try to keep up with this one.

D.Gray-Man Vol 7 TP

I have this volume at home; I received it as a review copy, but I haven't read it yet. I have no idea how well I'll be able to follow it without having read the first six volumes.

Kurohime Vol 2 TP

I also got this for review, which should be showing up on MangaLife any day now. It's a weird series, kind of like an old-West magical-gunslinger version of Pokemon, but with ridiculously-proportioned main character. I'll link to my review when it's up for more details.

Gon vol. 2

I like Gon. He's cute and feisty. That is all.

Tezuka’s MW

Ooh, and here's the manga release of the week. I'll be snapping this up if I see it anywhere; it looks really good. It's about a serial killer, I think; one of Tezuka's adult-oriented books. I can't wait to read it.
-----

And that's it. I'll probably have something tonight, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment