Monday, March 26, 2007

Get ready for the upcoming scandal

Via commenter hcduvall's blog, I found this article about Death Notes in China. Wow, I can't wait to see people freak out if somebody does this in the United States. Here's the gist of the article: somebody released a normal notebook of lined paper that looks like the notebook from the manga Death Note (a series I love, by the way. Click the "Death Note" label at the bottom of this post to see my reviews). Kids realize that these are not actual demonic notebooks that will kill somebody if their name is written in it, but when schools found out that kids were using notebooks that are supposed to kill people, they banned them. Ah, the overblown reaction to something kids like. It's a classic. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before something like this comes to the U.S., even if it's not official licensed merchandise. I can't wait to see the media fallout. Katie Couric should be shocked (shocked!) at the way children are willing to kill people. People are always willing (even eager) to be offended. It should be fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment