Monday, June 11, 2007

This week: more trades, less pamphlets

My pamphlet purchases seem to be dwindling, which would be a good thing (in terms of finances) if I wasn't getting more collections, graphic novels, and manga. Sigh. (lists from Midtown Comics and my local shop).

New comics this week (Wednesday, 6/13/07):

DMZ #20

More Rashomon-style war stories. Sure to be graphic, shocking, and emotional. Like I always say, this is one of my favorite books.

Black Diamond #1

Seems like this took forever to come out; didn't that preview for this series come out well over a year ago? It's some sort of post-apocalyptic story from AiT/Planetlar about a trip on mega-highways that cross the wasteland that is the future United States. Might be interesting.

Tank Girl the Gifting #1

Sad to say, I've never read any Tank Girl, but it's always seemed interesting to me, mostly due to Jaimie Hewlett's art. Well, he's not involved with this new incarnation of the character, but Ashley Wood is, along with co-creator Alan Martin. I don't know if I'll be able to follow it, but I dig Wood's art, so I expect I'll pick up the first issue at least.

Franklin Richards World Be Warned #1

I usually get these Franklin Richards specials, although I missed the last one. They're pretty enjoyable, with goofy sci-fi antics. I especially like the tired frustration of the H.E.R.B.I.E. character. Fun stuff.

Death JR

I've heard this was a pretty decent series, even if it's a spinoff of a video game. I like Ted Naifeh's art, and it's a fun concept (the Grim Reaper's son goes on supernatural adventures with his spooky classmates). I believe this is actually a collection of the second miniseries, so if I'm going to read it I should pick up the first one first.

Fables Vol 9 Sons Of Empire TP

Cool! I'm always excited to get another volume of Fables. It's a great series. I don't know what happens in this issue, so I hope to be surprised and astonished.

Fantastic Four Omnibus vol. 2

Wow, I would love to get these. I'm probably going to get the DVD set of the first 550 issues of the FF instead, but these huge volumes are sure cool.

Jack Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus vol. 1

Here's the one that I will definitely get, since I pre-ordered it from Amazon a while back. Of course, it was supposed to come out in May, and then got delayed; Amazon still tells me I shouldn't expect my copy until around July 12. Crap.

Re-Gifters

Hey, the next Minx book! This one's by Mike Carey, Mark Hempel, and Sonny Liew, who also did the excellent Vertigo miniseries My Faith in Frankie. I hope it's good.

Sam Noir Vol 1 Ronin Detective TP

I've praised this book before, and if you haven't read either of the two three-issue miniseries, here's your chance to check them out. It's awesome: samurai, ninjas, noir stuff, hard-boiled narration, violence, etc. Go Manny Trembley!

King Of Thorn Vol 1 GN

I've heard this is a pretty cool manga series, so I'll probably try to get it eventually. A wacky sci-fi series with lots of action. Sounds right up my alley.

Sgt Frog Vol 13 GN

I gave up on this series after the last volume, but I might have a weak moment and get this someday. I'm sure it will still be enjoyable. Gero!

Drifting Classroom Vol 6 TP

I finally managed to get volume 3 of this series (once it arrives in the mail), so I'm on my way to catching up!

Naoki Urasawas Monster Vol 8 TP

And I got the first volume of this, so I can at least get started on it. I imagine it will be a while before I get caught up, but I can try!

Shojo Beat Vol 3 #7 July 07

Hmmm, I usually get my copy of this in the mail a week or two before it shows up in stores. What's going on with my subscription, Viz? I think this is the issue with the final serialized installment of Nana, which freaks me out; I might have some separation anxiety. I hope Honey & Clover will satisfy my teen soap opera urges.
-----

And I think that's it for this week. I hope I don't spend too much. More content tonight, I expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment